Stay like a native Neapolitan at these hotels to uncover hole-in-the-wall pizzerias and lesser-known neighbourhoods.
Italy’s epicurean heavyweight should be on every self-respecting foodie’s hit list. You can eat the best pizza of your life in Naples, sample sumptuous delicacies on a guided street food tour (which you can experience on Culture Trip’s exclusive 10-day Southern Italy adventure, led by our Local Insider), explore some of the country’s top museums – including a network of fascinating underground tunnels – and discover the cradle of Italian men’s tailoring. It’s hard to not strike up a spontaneous conversation with the city’s exuberant residents, so feeling like a local comes naturalmente in Naples, and these hotels will help you immerse yourself in no time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nothing is more Neapolitan than waking up overlooking Mount Vesuvius, with whom the locals have had a love-hate relationship for millennia – the Pompeii episode is hard to forgive. From your suite in this elegant, crystal-clad building, you’ll have an unobstructed view of the volcano. The five-star hotel includes a rooftop pool, spa and Michelin-star restaurant where you can sample the city’s best local produce. Before you go out exploring, browse their online city guides with trusted local tips for guests.
Conveniently positioned between the port and the Quartieri Spagnoli (Spanish Quarters) – created in the 16th century to house Spanish garrisons, and now the city’s most bustling, gritty and energetic neighbourhood – this hotel offers elegant rooms and a rooftop bar with a grand piano and themed evenings. Do as the locals do and take the metro from Toledo station, only a two-minute walk from your hotel. It definitely won’t be your average subway experience: the station has been turned into an immersive art experience with intricate wall mosaics by William Kentridge and colour-changing light panels. Back at the hotel, the white-clothed restaurant lays on Mediterranean flair alongside regional wines.
If you want to really immerse yourself in the city’s culture, with its small osterias, antique shops, baroque churches and pizzerias on every corner, there’s no better place to sleep than this small boutique hotel in the historical centre. Although right in the middle of Spaccanapoli, the beating artery of Neapolitan social life, the rooms are surprisingly quiet. Don’t forget to drop by Sorbillo, considered by locals to sell some of the best pizza in Naples.
Located in a tranquil and less touristy corner of the city, just on the edge of the historical centre of Naples, you’ll sleep soundly in former monks’ quarters at this old monastery turned hotel. It’s been skilfully restored, while keeping historical high notes intact – such as the impressive chapel. Do as the Neapolitans do and take a stroll to the Belvedere di San Martino, where you’ll have a view of the city, Mount Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples.
A city institution, this hotel has been welcoming guests since 1870. Originally founded by a 19th-century English marine biologist who saved the former hotel in this palazzo from bankruptcy, it still exudes the atmosphere of old-world grandeur today. It boasts a Michelin-star restaurant and an impressive rooftop bar, where you’ll meet Naples’ fashionable crowd as well as fellow travellers. Concierges Marco and Vincenzo can organise limousine transfers, wine tastings, tours and boat trips to Capri and Sorrento.
A budget-friendly option, this hotel might seem a bit inconvenient location-wise. But it’s actually a great starting point for second-time visitors who want to make day trips to Mount Vesuvius, the ancient city of Pompeii or Capri, as you’re right in between the city’s two main train stations. When you get back to Naples, get a take-away dinner Neapolitan-style at L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, a local restaurant where Julia Roberts famously had a pizza in Eat Pray Love, and which is now so popular it has outposts around the world.
Budget rooms with five-star service: that’s what best describes this bed and breakfast. Host Guido will gladly share all of his Neapolitan intel with you. His tips? Literature lovers will have a blast at the market of Port’Alba, filled with second-hand and antique books, just around the corner. But the best advice he’ll give you is to visit the often overlooked, beautifully frescoed Monastery of Santa Chiara: once you’re inside, you’ll completely forget the noise and chaos of the city.
This old palazzo flaunts baroque frescoed ceilings, in-laid wooden floors and original doors, giving you a glimpse into the life of a Neapolitan Renaissance nobleman. You don’t even have to leave the hotel to try some typical dishes: in the 16th-century dining room, staff can organise a meal, featuring reimagined staples of regional cuisine. While eating, you can marvel at the intricately frescoed ceilings without hurting your neck thanks to the mirror-clad table tops.
Luxury soundproofed rooms with modern furniture, private hot tubs, saunas and fireplaces, make this hotel a great choice for a romantic getaway, especially for second-time travellers looking to discover a different side of the city. The staff can organise a variety of bespoke city tours aimed at seeing Naples through a local’s eyes, whether you’re interested in meeting artisans in their ancient workshops, exploring the city’s underground tunnels or delving into the Quartieri Spagnoli with its traditional shops and restaurants.
Looking for somewhere different? Book into one of the best budget-friendly hotels in Naples, or discover the best overall hotels in the city. Extend your Italian holiday by seeing the best boutique hotels in Sorrento, only an hour south of Naples.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.