With designer furniture, frescoed ceilings and champagne on arrival, you wouldn’t know these cheap hotels in Naples are affordable – but they are. Naples offers some of the best value for money in Italy: ingredients like tomatoes and mozzarella are of such high quality here, they make even the simplest dishes taste amazing. And the pizza, oh the pizza… Italy’s most famous export is served up on every corner for only a few euros apiece. And if you stay in one of these budget hotels in Naples, all bookable with Culture Trip, you’ll have enough cash left over to savour every single bite.
The bright design of this bed and breakfast will have your summertime glow in full flow, if the Italian air hasn’t already worked its magic. Choose from rooms tastefully decorated in blue, green, yellow or orange, complete with sizeable beds and plenty of living space. Make sure you opt for a room with a balcony, because how else can you enjoy the Italian sun round the clock? Pets are more than welcome at Annunziata – just call ahead so your four-legged friend can have their bed adequately fluffed. A kids’ club is also available if you’re bringing the whole family.
This hotel, converted from the famous Bellini Theatre, offers five different room choices named after famous Italian actors. Feel like a movie star by opting for Sophia Loren’s Dressing Room, taking advantage of the city views from your own private balcony, or keep it simple with the comfortable offerings from Totò’s room. All rooms come with a 4K Smart TV, in case you want to learn more about the greats of stage and screen who inspired your room. The three-minute walk from the nearest metro stop shouldn’t be too difficult after a few vinos.
You don’t have to tell hosts Angela, Massimo and Nunzia what hospitality means: they’ll welcome you with a bottle of bubbles and attentive service throughout your stay, whether that’s leaving a breakfast basket outside your room if you have an early flight or advising on the best eats in town, based on your personal preferences. They put the same attention to detail into the rooms, decorating them with marble sculptures and Fornasetti-inspired murals.
Brightly hued design furniture, in-laid wooden wall panels, frescoed ceilings with chandeliers and private balconies: nothing about these rooms with smart en-suites makes you think it’s a cheap Naples hotel. The location is hard to top, too – in the heart of Naples, steps away from the impressive National Archaeological Museum.
Gabriele and Manuela manage this small-scale, decently priced bed and breakfast with the same on-point professionalism and hospitality of a luxury hotel. They surprise their guests with a different breakfast served in the room every morning, share the best local tips on the Naples food scene and are always available for questions and requests. The location is another plus: around the corner of Piazza del Plebiscito, in the middle of an ancient fishermen’s neighbourhood, with most of the city’s main sights within walking distance.
Piazza Bellini is one of the most vivid squares in Naples, where you’ll find lots of locals meeting up for an after-work aperitivo or a dinner with friends. Just around the corner, you’ll find this snug hotel with impeccable service, a lovely internal garden with Baroque fountains, and minimalist rooms with Kartell design chairs (some even have private kitchens). Perks include a welcome drink, a surprise gift waiting in your room and a free minibar with soft drinks.
This budget base has the facilities of a five-star hotel: located in a 19th-century palazzo, a five-minute walk away from Circumvesuviana Station (from where you can take the train for day trips to Pompeii or Sorrento), it houses elegant rooms with private balconies and a chic rooftop terrace with a restaurant and cocktail bar. The breakfast buffet includes gluten-free options, and there’s a pillow menu to ensure you get a great night’s sleep.
The Naples subway system is a fast and budget-friendly way to get around during your city trip (many stations are adorned by artworks from the likes of William Kentridge), and this guesthouse sits less than a minute away from Dante metro station. Host Guido will gladly point out all the must-sees, as well as his favourite restaurants and cafés. For a modestly priced hotel, the rooms have surprisingly large bathrooms with comfortable walk-in showers and an extensive set of free toiletries, and even in-room spa services such as massages and pedicures.
If you’re a sucker for old Italian palazzi with high frescoed ceilings, in-laid wooden floors and Baroque panelled doors, you’ll have a blast at this sophisticated hotel in the heart of the city. Inside, original details are elegantly complemented by modern design furniture, and mirror-clad tables in the breakfast room let you admire beautifully painted ceilings without hurting your neck.
A boutique hotel with a spa and wellness centre, private hot tubs and impressive interiors – you can hardly call this a budget hotel (and yet, a budget hotel it is). The smart soundproofed rooms, with their antique parquet floors, exposed brick walls, fireplaces, spacious living areas and Instagrammable furniture, are nothing less than luxurious – without the associated price tag. Even the location is great: the Dante metro station is a five-minute stroll away and nearby cheap eat, Pizzeria Di Matteo, has a pizza faccia gialla (literally, yellow-faced pizza, made with yellow tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala and porcini mushrooms) to die for.
Still looking for your perfect stay? Check out our guide to the best hotels in Naples, then book your stay now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sam Moakes contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.