Montepulciano, a medieval hilltop town in Tuscany often overlooked by travellers, will entice you with noble red wines of the same name. The vineyards are far from the only draw, though, with local delicacies such as fresh cheese, pici pasta and honey also abundant. Get acquainted with the peaceful Tuscan countryside at one of these top hotels in Montepulciano – bookable on Culture Trip.
The Lupaia countryside estate will leave you longing for more time in Montepulciano. As you wander through the gardens, en route to the ancient farmhouses that you’ll call home for your visit, the panoramic views of the rolling hills will convince you to spend every moment of daylight poolside. The cool air and calming whisper of the wind are only rivalled by the aroma of fresh herbs and roasted meat wafting your way as your host prepares a four-course dinner of Tuscan delights.
The views lending Hotel Panoramic its name are yours to take in whichever way you please, with the tennis court, warm solarium and thermal hydromassage swimming pool surrounded by scenic hillsides. Doze off under the shade of a fruit tree and dream of the hidden corners you found – while walking or cycling – in its 2ha (5 acres) of woods and olive groves. Don’t feel bad about curling up with a good book in your air-conditioned king-size bed either – the hotel uses renewable energy sources.
Spend every night hopping between the restaurants and clubs around the Piazza Grande from your room at the Hotel La Terrazza di Montepulciano. Set your luggage in your expertly restored room and step out into the historic centre. Taste the grapes that have produced exceptional wine since the Renaissance at Contucci. Afterwards, admire the art collection at the Museo Civico Pinacoteca Crociani as you await your dinner reservations at Osteria del Borgo.
Treat the family to a restful holiday in Montepulciano at Albergo Il Rondò. The family suite has a communal living room and two ensuite bedrooms. The breakfast buffet of local fruits, cheeses, pancakes, pastries and cereals will have something even the pickiest eater will enjoy. Spend the day together horseback riding through the Tuscan countryside, splashing in the Rapolano thermal baths or learning how to prepare home-made ravioli during a cooking class.
Albergo Il Marzocco, dating back to 1500, is the oldest hotel in Montepulciano. The former farmhouse now beckons you to enjoy the stunning views from its terraces that so many writers, actors and other distinguished guests have savoured for more than a century. Just outside the brick building, you’ll find the marble lion of the Colonna del Marzocco standing watch over the oldest part of Montepulciano.
Albergo Duomo welcomes you to dive into that novel you haven’t had the time to read. Your hosts will show you to a single room tastefully decorated with a tiled marble floor and simple Tuscan furnishings. Unwind with a drink from your minibar, or flip through the pages with a glass of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano in hand by the fireplace in the lounge area. If you happen to be reading one of Stephenie Meyer’s romances, peer outside and spot a filming location from Twilight: New Moon (2009).
Central yet quiet, the apartments of La Corte Medicea invite you to immerse yourself in Tuscan culture. Enjoy complimentary cappuccinos with breakfast before sipping through a wine tour, foraging during a truffle hunt or learning how to capture the beautiful Montepulciano countryside on canvas. The restaurant next door is another gateway to century-old traditions, with its fettunta (Italian garlic bread), panzanella (salad of stale bread, tomatoes and onion) and other house-made cuisine offered at a discount for all apartment guests.
La Corte Segreta’s guest rooms and apartment loft are only steps from Montepulciano’s historic centre. The large double room with a private garden is a comfortable place for you to recoup after a day spent wine tasting. If you want to put the lessons from your Tuscan cooking class to the test, take advantage of the kitchen in the apartment loft, where you can prepare a Tuscan salad while watching the sunset.
The striking fireplace in the Hearth room and the breathtaking views of Lake Trasimeno and the Apennines in the Apostoli suite are fantastic, but it’s the Contessa Eponina room that will wow you like no other at this hotel in Montepulciano. This ground-floor room of Tombesi Trecci is adorned with motifs of coeval draping curtains. Meanwhile, a cosy fireplace is the centrepiece of the living room, surrounded by vivid architectural frescoes by Andrea Galetti.
A mosaic of art and nature paints a picturesque stay at the I Palazzi Bed and Breakfast, situated between Montepulciano and Cortona. Whether you’re an artist or merely an appreciator, the vineyards and olive groves surrounding this Valdichiana home will inspire you. You’ll share the B&B with only three other guests rooms, spoiling you with a quiet getaway. When you’d like camaraderie and conversation, your hosts will eagerly detail the Middle Age history of the home and lead you to the best pecorino cheesemakers in the village.
Looking for more recommendations? If you’re interested in the best things to do while in town, you can explore winding streets, set off on easy hikes and so much more. No trip to Italy would be complete without exploring the local food scene – you can sample some of the best Tuscan cooking at these top restaurants or sit back and enjoy a glass of wine at one of the best bars in Montepulciano.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.