Famed for its art, Venice also has its share of nightlife. The district of Dorsoduro, with its traditional bars and vibrant student life, is a perfect example. Enjoy an aperitivo or have a few drinks in the best bars in this picturesque area.
Located not far from the train station, Dorsoduro is a residential sestiere (district) known for its authentically Venetian, exuberant nightlife. Hosting the city’s major universities, Dorsoduro lies at the heart of student life, which revolves around the area’s quirky bookshops, pizza places and traditional bars. These are Dorsoduro’s best bars where you can enjoy your night in the floating city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the pillars of Venetian nightlife, you can find Skillà Bar in Campo Santa Margherita, which can be reached in about a 10-minute walk from the train station. “Campo Santa Margherita is perfect for a night out. You have plenty of bars to go to without travelling far,” explains Raffaele Barresi, the owner of Skillà. “We opened the bar six years ago. Because we’re in the middle of student life, we offer a wide range of cocktails at easily affordable prices.” There’s a free buffet alongside your aperitivo, making this the best place to kick-start your night.
“Campo Santa Margherita is the place to be. I wouldn’t honestly know what bars to recommend, there are just so many good places,” says Raffaele. It’s impossible, however, not to mention Il Caffè Rosso, a historical café and bar that is a Venetian institution. Founded at the end of the 19th century, the outdoor tables of this bar are the perfect spot to sip your Aperol Spritz in the sunshine. Pair your glass of wine with a tramezzino, a typically Italian triangular sandwich that comes with a range of fillings.
Blessing its customers with a friendly vibe and an excellent cocktail list, Chet Bar is a small bar in Campo Santa Margherita. Venice’s residents – in particular students – love it both for its affordable prices and lively, vibrant atmosphere. The best time to visit is at the end of spring or the beginning of autumn, when the weather is still nice, the temperatures are mild and there are plenty of students filling the square.
Just a few steps from Margaret Duchamp lies Osteria dei Pugni, a traditional bar just in front of Ponte dei Pugni, or ‘the bridge of fists’. Both the bridge and bar take their name from an old Venetian tradition: ‘the war of fists’. Every year, the two factions of Castellani and Nicolotti would fight to try to push their opponent into the waters of the canal. Nowadays, it’s more peaceful. Osteria dei Pugni is tucked away in a picturesque little corner overlooking the canal and the Campo San Barnaba floating vegetable and fruit market. Stop by for a great view and a selection of delicious wines and snacks.
Set slightly apart from the bustle of Campo Santa Margherita, the Corner Pub is the ideal stop on your way to Basilica della Salute or as a break from visiting the nearby museums, which include the Peggy Guggenheim Collection and Gallerie dell’Accademia. This bar is the perfect combination of a British pub and a Venetian bacaro, matching a great selection of wine and beers with the tastiest of snacks. With some of the best panini in town and great customer service, Corner Pub makes any evening special.
Often overlooked by mainstream tour guides, Adriatico Mar is a meeting place for locals. This tiny but traditional bacaro is a haven for smokers, as they can enjoy a “smoke with a view” from the bar’s pier, just in front of a canal. Adriatico Mar is beautifully Venetian, with residents of all ages passing through to enjoy its range of wines and tasty cicchetti (Venetian finger food).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.