One of the joys of travel is the rush of emotion a simple memory can evoke of previous experiences. We have a number of visual mementos we often look back on for the most obvious example of this, but sounds and scents also provide a similar effect. For me, though, the distinctive flavours certain places serve up inspire the most vivid recollections. Here’s how Patrick Pistolesi has scoured the world to bring home a taste of incredible drinks he’s tried on his travels. Explore Rome and other Italian cities with Culture Trip’s Classic Italy trip. Find out more about the country and pick from our curated small-group itineraries.
Ron Santiago de Cuba is just one example of a drinks synonymous with its place of origin. Rum has a storied past in Cuba, and many cocktails have also emerged from there in recent years. Using premium products like this, master mixologist Patrick Pistolesi has created a series of pre-mixed drinks that can be delivered straight to your home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As the owner of Drink Kong, one of the 20 best bars in the world, Pistolesi is the perfect person to tell us about Nio Cocktails, international drinks trends and finding inspiration in unlikely places.
‘Drink Kong will have its fifth anniversary in September (2023) and i’ve been in this industry for more than 25 years’, Patrick tell Culture Trip on his recent visit to London. ‘When I opened my bar is was always a dream and came after a period of travelling all around the country. I’ve always done that and when the internet took off, it became really important to do that. We’re based in Roma, and I have a deep love for the city. It has tradition and if you go past the tourist places you can find the real sense of the place. The food is amazing, the weather is amazing, the sights are amazing. It can also be a mess too!’
Drink Kong has won a number of accolades in recent years and has a great reputation among discerning travellers and locals alike. As someone who has travelled extensively too, its fascinating to find out more about how this aspect of Patrick’s past has influenced what he is working on now. As the co-owner and co-founder of NIO, a company that sends out ready-mixed cocktails in convenient packages for home use, Pistolesi isn’t afraid to take risks.
‘When I started bar-tending was a hard profession to explain. People would always ask what I studied, and I would say ‘bar-tending’. Now people get it, but at the time that was tough. I want to put Rome on the map and also create a safe job for people who work with me. I actually started as an actor, but like everything it takes time. This gave me some comfort and allowed me to travel too.’
Rome is obviously the place Patrick calls home, but as we are talking to him on the eve of a decisive game in the Six Nations, he tells us that he potentially has split loyalties. ‘My mum is Irish and my father is Italian. I drink like an Irishman and eat like an Italian!’
We’re not entirely sure, but it seems like a slight Irish accent pops into the conversation from here on in. It probably is just us though.
‘If I travel to a place,’ Patrick continues, ‘I am always curious about the drinks scene. New bars, ingredients and techniques is inspirational to me. If I go somewhere outside of Europe, like Asia or South America, there is so much to see and experience. The people are curious about us there, but we are also interested in them. You go to Japan and you see how the guys there are crushing it. Last year I travelled for 220 days, and that can be exhausting. Sometimes you get less than two days in a place, and that can be a drag.’
There’s a real craft behind creating new drinks and perfecting classic cocktails. It comes down to experience ‘and some practice’ which is part of the process at Drink Kong. ‘It has to be either exploration or evocation. You taste something that is new and like it, or taste something you’ve had before and it reminds you of something from the past. You always have to get someone else to taste is because it needs that interpretation too. In Asia you don’t add sugar, because that sweetness is like poison there. In India, however its whisky that they love. You get to know this by travelling there.’
One of Patrick’s signature cocktails and one he himself is very proud of is the Mare Nostrum. ‘Its the old Roman name for the Mediterranean Sea, and in the drink we have thyme, rosemary, basil, black olives and lemon peels. This is the scents and flavours that teleport you right there. There’s also storytelling involved too, so I can tell you that it feels like summer in Greece, Spain or Southern Italy and give you a little bit of that. Bar-tenders need to be the kings of small talk.’
Moving onto the concept of NIO, Patrick is happy to pour out a pre-mixed negroni from a small box to highlight just how good the cocktail is. Its a brave move, but it works and the drink is a full-bodied version of the classic and one that can fit through your average letter box at home.
Bringing Drink Kong and all the flavours we spoke about to your own home is just another innovative move that looks like it will pay off for Patrick.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.