Northern Italy is home to some of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe (Rome and Milan, we’re looking at you…), as well as varied scenery and hidden gem Italian eateries. You could spend a lifetime exploring the top of the Boot. However, post-pandemic, we have a lot of travel to catch up on, so a fast-paced trip is required. Here’s our guide to exploring Northern Italy in one week. Yes, it is possible, with an expert guide, high-speed trains and zippy Italian drivers on hand.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you have a bit more time to spare, consider joining Culture Trip’s specially curated 10-day Northern Italy trip, led by our local insider.
Day 1: Rome
Start your adventure in Rome, the capital city of Italy. Wet the whistle with a welcome drink at Hotel Art, located near the stately Spanish Steps. Stroll a short way to Al 34 on Via Mario De’ Fiori and plump for pumpkin gnocchi or octopus with shrimp and pistachio for dinner. Gently wind back through thrumming streets, stopping in at Pompi for takeaway tiramisu, if you can manage it.
Day 2: Rome
Rome is a compact city – one of the best ways to see all the major sights is on two wheels. Join a bicycle tour, stopping by the time-honoured Mars Ultor temple, elegant Trevi Fountain and impressive Mausoleum of Augustus plus bustling piazzas Di Spagna, Navona and Venezia. Lunch at Isidoro – the artichoke fettuccine is sublime. Next, head inside the Colosseum, where gory gladiator battles were once held, before exploring the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.
Day 3: Siena
Next on your northern Italy itinerary is the medieval Tuscan city of Siena. On arrival, seek out restaurant Gallo Nero for a fine midday feed – local pigeon with chestnuts perhaps, or Mediterranean squid with wild herbs. Walk it off around the city walls and tropical university greenhouses or climb the white-tipped Torre del Mangia; sweeping views are your reward. Stop by the Pinacoteca Nazionale to browse gothic masterpieces, before trying panforte (fruit and nut slice) from esteemed Il Magnifico baker Lorenzo Rossi. Retire to Villa Curina, where the farmhouse veranda overlooks the undulating Chianti hills.
Day 4: Florence
Tear yourself from the warm embrace of Siena and continue an hour north (by car) to Florence. Enjoy a guided walking tour around the artistic and architectural hotspot, taking in the Uffizi and Santa Maria del Fiore. Make haste to Mercato Centrale to snack on street food for lunch, and then onto the garden at Beppa Fioraia for a Campari with rose and chilli liqueur. Transfer by car to Levanto on the Italian Riviera in the evening.
Day 5: Levanto
Today, explore the coastline of Cinque Terre, which is dotted with five centuries-old seaside villages. Walk the 12km (7mi) long Sentiero Azzurro between each – it takes around five hours in total. Start in Monterosso, where impossibly pretty pastel properties overlook the rugged clifftops. Walk to Vernazza – a natural port – and Corniglia if you can face 33 flights of steps. Before you’re too footsore, visit Volastra (village of the olive) and finish in Manarola, famous for illuminating its hills with a huge Holy Nativity. Catch the train to Riomaggiore, and then back to Levanto to swim or enjoy a massage at the hotel.
Day 6: Como
It’s an early start today. Take a private transfer from Levanto to arrive in Lake Como for lunch time. On arrival, lose yourself in the winding streets near the Piazza San Fedele before lunch at a local osteria. Stroll past the beautiful Duomo di Como before making your way over to the waterfront for a late afternoon boat tour. From the water, you can really appreciate the beauty of the Alpine landscape. Bed down tonight at the Hotel Metropole & Suisse and gaze upon the grand lagoon from your room.
Day 7: Milan
Have a lie in! Then it’s away to the fashion and finance capital of Milan. Meet your driver at the lobby and be on the rooftop of the Milano Ambasciatori hotel before you know it. Bag a room with golden Madonnina and cathedral spire views. At lunchtime, embark on a three-hour foodie walking tour with tastings of 24-month-aged Parma ham, melanzane alla parmigiana and artisan gelato. As the day draws to a close, it’s time to make your way back to the airport – and say arrivederci to northern Italy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.