Sorrento sits on an idyllic cliff face in the Southwest region of Campania, overlooking the busy Bay of Naples and is a must-see city while travelling through Italy. From sampling their renowned limoncello, to visiting the time-capsule city of Pompeii, there are a litany of escapades and sites to experience in this consummate Italian town. Although you may feel overwhelmed with the amount of things to do and capture, our guide will lay out the perfect way to spend three memorable days in Sorrento.
Day 1 – Get Around Town
Morning – Rent a Bike or Scooter
If you’re spending a few days in Sorrento, it’s easy and inexpensive to rent a scooter to maneuver around the cobbled alleys, or seaside along the boardwalk pathways. Although it can be an intimidating endeavor at first, you will soon get in the groove of navigating through the city with the traffic, or going on the idyllic curving roads of the Amalfi Coast. You get full access to the experience of local life in the town; as well as the freedom to go where you like, when you like.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Afternoon – Stretch Your Legs on a Hike
Start your next few days capturing some beautiful pictures and sites while getting some exercise by taking part in any of the alluring hikes that surround Sorrento. There are several scenic treks to enjoy while visiting this area but amongst the most enchanting and ancient of paths is the Punta della Campanella. Walk through the early pilgrimage route taking you through Benedictine vineyards, past Mount San Costanzo and enjoy epic views of the surrounding foliage, vegetation, and island as a whole. There are plenty of great hikes to start your day with that take you through a multitude of nature, while involving mythical history and beautiful vistas.
Take a Day Trip
There is an incredible amount of places to spend the day that are only a short boat ride, or train trip away. Grab a ferry from the Marina Grande or hire a private tour boat to take you around the Isle of Capri and peek into the less popular grottos and go swimming in the shimmering clear waters. You can take an easy thirty minute train to the ancient city of Pompeii. Enjoy immaculate views of Mt. Vesuvius and admire the ruins that are constantly being unearthed and restored. There are also a plethora of vineyards to explore and wines to sample in Sorrento area. Be guided by a wine aficionado through the winding trees and taste some authentic Italian wine.
Evening – Hit the Club
Once the sun is extinguished behind the cliff faces and stacked buildings of Sorrento, the streets are clear of traffic and tourists and instead become very tranquil. If you’re interested in enjoying some dancing and drinking, there is no shortage of exciting clubs to visit. Fauno Notte Club is one of the preferred lounges that provides bumping live music, tasty tropical drinks, as well as a chic and entertaining interior. Located beneath the heart of the city, in a downstairs area under Piazza Tasso. Most clubs don’t get into full swing until after midnight but there are enough venues around town to fill your evenings with exhilarating dancing and fun for your entire trip.
Fauno Notte Club, Piazza Torquato Tasso, 13, Sorrento NA, Italy +39 081 878 1021
Day 2 – Soak Up The Culture
Morning – Scope Out the Architecture
Explore the old section of Sorrento and wander through the magnificent buildings that occupy this space, such as the cloister and church of San Francesco. Be transported back in time as you walk through the narrow streets, and admire the varying mix of architectural styles. Second to their magnificent Cathedral of Sorrento, the Basilica of Sant’Antonio contains opulent relics encrusted with jewels, as well as beautiful gardens and overall is a spectacular structure.
Basilica di San’Antonio, Via San Maria Grazie, 6, Sorrento NA, Italy + 39 081 877 1007
Afternoon – Admire the Art Scene
Sorrento has art and history repositories scattered throughout its ancient alleyways and courtyards. One of the most noted is the four-story, twenty-four room monolith of the Correale di Terranova Museum. Sectioned chronologically from room to room, it accommodates priceless 17th and 18th paintings, an incredible porcelain collection, among an extensive catalogue of items. It is regarded as one of the most beautiful museums in Italy and is meticulously cared for by the lasting members of the Correale family. If you’re feeling more local art, there’s the peculiar and interesting Terrerose Art Workshop which incorporates unique installations and contemporary works. Plus, you can enjoy a coffee and pastry while you peruse the eclectic art.
Correale di Terranova Museum, Via Correale, 5, Sorrento NA, Italy +39 081 878 1846
Terrerosse Sorrento, Via Fuoro, 73, Sorrento NA, Italy +39 349 754 2872
Evening – Stroll Down the Marinas
Being a seaside town, Sorrento boasts incredible views of the glittering expanse of ocean and commuting barges and ships. Enjoy the perfumed breeze as you make your way down the cliff with ease. You can pass through the main port of the region, Marina Piccolo or continue on to its fanciful companion, Marina Grande that is not so much of a port now but an offbeat fishing village that contains delicious seafood and interesting shops. From here you can also book ferries to Naples, or Capri. Either way, this easy amble is worth the perfect views and sweet sea air. Enjoy the lovely evening and relax with the tide.
Day 3 – Sunshine Time
Morning – Soak Up Some Sun on the Beach
As the late afternoon casts its last golden bursts of sunlight over this idyllic space, enjoy the natural beaches of Sorrento. Although Marina Grande and Piccolo offer up beautiful beaches, the locals often favour the family-friendly Puolo beach, smaller and more isolated, it has sparkling clear and shallow waters perfect for wading. Another local favourite is Marina del Cantone near Nerano, sporting a wide pebble beach and an assemblage of cafés and restaurants to grab dinner or a snack and enjoy some Nerano style foods.
Afternoon – Enjoy Some Traditional Sorrento Lunch
Stop for a lunch break and dig into the decadent cuisine known to the area. One of their must-try staples is gnocchi alla Sorrentina, the rustic traditional meal. A heap of potato pasta smothered with homemade tomato sauce, and topped with sharp Treccia cheese and basil is a perfect representation of Sorrento’s simple but robust culture. Although there are several restaurants that claim the title of best gnocchi in Sorrento, L’Antica Trattoria is highly recommended. An alcove of pleasant plants and flowers creates a frame of perfection at their outside patio and their team of local chefs create some of the most delicious gnocchi along with a considerable amount of other fresh and appetising recipes.
Evening- Shop Away
Cool off from your day of sunning and sightseeing by indulging in some retail therapy. Sorrento has some of the most radiant and fun shops hidden away in the beautiful narrow pathways. You can find local specialties hand-crafted by caring residents, foods and wines known to the region such as the zesty limoncello, not to mention lovely clothes, scarves, and accessories to fill your evening with browsing. Some of the primary shopping streets are Lagro Padre Reginaldo Guinana, and Via Santa Maria De Grazie that offer up an endless bounty of items and souvenirs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.