Italy has a plethora of striking experiences to offer by way of cuisine, architecture, and culture but to appreciate the full scope of what Italy is all about, a visit to Sardinia is an absolute must. A culmination of all things Italian, Sardinia provides a variety of ancient structures and art, pristine beaches, delectable dishes, and quiver-inducing volcanic terrains. Here’s why you can’t leave Italy without dedicating some time to this picture-perfect island.
Explore the Abundance of Architecture
Sardinia is the second largest island in the Mediterranean and home to over 7,000 ancient archaeological sites. Visit the ruins of the primordial cities, admire the unique remains of 19th and 18th century structures, examine the skeletal remnants of antique villages, and revel in the mystique of surviving temples and edifices. The island also contains a maze of nuraghes, a particular type of primeval fortress comprised of stones forming magnificent towers, dwellings, and tombs, forming a complex of different shapes that date back to the second century. They are specific to Sardinia and can’t be found anywhere else.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Admire the Array of Wildlife
A quarter of Sardinia’s land is dedicated to wildlife preserves and national parks where you can not only witness lovely views of nature but catch glimpses of animals and fauna unique to the island. It’s varying landscape is composed of daunting mountains, as well as lush valleys and tablelands where you can spot the rare peregrine hawks, as well as varying vultures, Sardinian deer, wild pigs, sheep, and small horses. It’s also home to several flamingo colonies as well as families of lively monk seal. On Asinara, a small uninhabited island off the coast, you can discover a herd of miniature albino donkey!
Soak Up the City Life
A large part of Sardinia’s essence is found in its ebullient and animated cities. Discover the colourful San Benedetto Market in Cagliari, the Central Market of Alghero, and the thrift shops and boutiques in San Pantaleo. Not only do they provide excellent shopping but they are also well known for their vibrant night life. You’ll be able to meander through the overflowing night clubs, dance the hours away to pulsating live music, and navigate through the golden streets jumping from bar to bar. Admire the history that is laid out in each street and building, like an open letter to the ages.
Relax in Beach-Side Paradise
Having reached their apogee of perfect beaches, you have plenty of stretches of sand to unwind on. One of the most well-known is Costa Smeralda or Spiaggia di Piscinas, complete with snowy sands and shimmering waves that remain a warm temperature most of the year. Whether you’re travelling solo, looking to get away from the tourists, with family, or looking for a place in which to hike, there is a Sardinian beach for everyone. There are a number of alluring resorts and hotels that are provide a perfect atmosphere for a few days spent relaxing at the beach.
Traverse Cool Caves
In between tanning, take a trip spelunking and explore one of the many caves that line the coastline. Grotte di Nettuno is considered one of the most exquisite caves to visit, located about 25 kilometres from Alghero. Filled with dripping stalactites and lit up by gleaming lights, it’s like something out of a fairy tale. You can access it either by boat tour or by the Escala del Cabriol, a staircase made up of over six hundred steps. Admire the collections of stalagmites and stalactites within the caves, the cerulean blue water that seeps into the caves and enjoy the surrounding ocean and coast line.
The Magnificent Art Scene
The electric cities of Sardinia have long boasted archaeological sites and beautiful views but also have a masterful assemblage of galleries, museums, and cathedrals. Aristanship has always been an integral feature of Sardinian culture and has contributed to a long history of magnificent art. You can discover local works in basket weaving at the beautiful castle museum, Museo dell’Intreccio Mediterraneo, praise innovative modern art at the Man Museum of Art, or marvel at the architectural feat of Cattedrale di Santa Maria. Influenced by centuries of meshed cultures and experiences, Sardinia casts a vast net, capturing a network of talented artists that have helped to create this individualistic art scene.
Man Museum of Art, Via Sebastiano Satta, 27, Nuoro SS, Italy +39 0784 252110
To Get Your Fill of Remarkable Sardinian Cusine
Like most Italian food, you won’t be disappointed by the delicious flavours that Sardinia has to offer. Not only influenced by the sea, but also the history of invasions by varying peoples such as Spanish, Phoenician, and Arabic, all leaving traces of their practices in the cuisine. This factor sets them apart from the majority of Italy and introduces you to dishes solely known to the island. They’ve developed their own styles of pastas such as fregula and gnocchetti sardi, and incorporate cuttlefish, mullet, pork, lamb, and snails. Blended with fresh cheeses, hand-crafted wines, local herbs, and generational recipes, Sardinian food is completely its own.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.