Believe the stereotypes: dating an Italian involves plenty of passionate – bordering on deranged – arguments, an interfering mother-in-law and at least one other woman or toy boy hiding behind the scenes. So why would anyone date an Italian? Here’s 14 reasons why.
They’ll wine and dine you
Socialising in Italy inevitably revolves around food, and dating is no different. Even a casual first date is the perfect excuse to grab pizza and fritti at a local pizzeria or get to know each other over an aperitivo. Prepare to put on a few pounds.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It doesn’t matter if you take ages to get ready
Italians are notoriously bad timekeepers so if you spend ages doing your hair or picking spinach out of your teeth before a big date, it’s no big deal – they’re not going to be ready on time either.
They marry later in life
Compared to their British counterparts who get hitched at an average age of 27.9, Italians don’t marry until their 30s. The average age for a first wedding in Italy is 34 for men and 31 for women. So if you like to take things slow, Italians are on the same wavelength.
Your sex life will thank you
It’s not just a cliché that Italians are good in bed – the statistics prove it. One poll that called English lovers ‘too lazy’ put Italians in the top three nationalities for lovemaking. Some scientists even say a rampant sex life is helping Italians live longer.
Regularly topping the polls as the world’s sexiest, the Italian accent conjures up fantasies of sultry summer flings and passionate liaisons played out against the backdrop of the bel paese. CNN went as far as calling the lingo ‘sex as a second language’ – even talking about the weather Italians sound hot.
You get a free language coach
From mastering a million verb tenses and deciphering complicated conjugations, learning Italian is not easy. Having a native speaker at your disposal can only help you master the perfect pronunciation and pick up useful vocabulary.
To see more of the bel paese
Even if your Italian beau doesn’t live in Italy, that’s no excuse not to discover their homeland. The country was only unified in 1871 so regional identities remain strong, contrasting greatly from north to south. In short, there’s a lot to discover.
You’ll be invited to feast with the in-laws
Once things get serious, you’ll no doubt be invited to dine with the family. They might tell you it’s a just simple Sunday lunch, but there’ll still be mountains of prosciutto, three different kinds of pasta, grilled veggies and a meat or fish course – all followed by dessert, of course. It’s just mamma’s way of showing she cares.
To get an Italian mother in-law
Speaking of Italian mothers, they’re usually seen as overbearing and interfering, raising clingy and ill-equipped-for-life mammoni, or mummy’s boys. If the stereotype happens to be true and you don’t want to look after a man, great – mamma will take care of that! More likely though, is that her years of experience mean she’ll be your go-to person when you need a heart-to-heart or the type of life-clarifying advice you can only get from a mother – particularly if yours is miles away in another country.
They’re beautiful, inside and out
Italians are well known for their sultry good looks, but what’s on the inside counts too. Making a good impression, known as la bella figura, dictates every aspect of how Italians act. Italians will not only dress to impress, they’ll also be kind, considerate and display the upmost charm in order to avoid making a figuraccia – a bad impression.
To help you navigate Italian bureaucracy
Starting a new life in another country means a whole load of organisation and life admin to wade through. The language barrier can make even simple tasks like opening a bank account seem daunting, but throw in Italian bureaucracy and you’ll be pining for your homeland in no time. Having someone with experience of cutting through red tape makes registering for residenza at the comune that much easier.
If your in-laws approve, they’ll want to help you and hubby out whenever they can. Many Italians, particularly older generations, have second homes at the beach or in the mountains for the whole family to enjoy. If you’re really lucky, there might even be a vacant apartment in need of some rent-free tenants.
Italian weddings are awesome
If all goes well, you might feel like getting hitched. Italian weddings are multi-course extravaganzas serving only the best Italian dishes and with fine wines flowing freely. As well as a wedding cake, there’s often an entire buffet of desserts to indulge in. Wash it down with a grappa or limoncello and dance the night away.
They’re dating experts
And if it doesn’t go quite so well, have no fear, there’s plenty more fish in the Mediterranean Sea. In fact, young Italians are practically Tinder professionals – with Rome in particular making it into the top 10 most active European locations for Tinder.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.