Monti Sibillini is one of the most beautiful areas of Italy nestled between Umbria and Le Marche. The national park of the Sibillini is dotted with medieval hamlets, gorgeous forests and stunning panoramas. Here you’ll not find hordes of tourists like in other regions of Italy, so there is no better reason to discover this magical and low-key area of the country.
Admire the Colored Fields of Castelluccio di Norcia
Maybe the most romantic hamlet of Umbria, Castelluccio is mostly known for its flowers and its gorgeous gastronomy. Once here, don’t forget to taste the lentils marked ‘IGP’, for Protected Geographical Indication, and be sure to try them stuffed with water, garlic, celery, salt and pepper. The best time of the year to visit Castelluccio is spring, when the flowers bloom and the plain is turned into a rainbow of colors.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Valnerina, or Valley of the Nera River, is a natural area located in the south-east of Umbria. It is the ideal place to spend a relaxing weekend with the family or partner. There are a lot of activities to do here, but the best is to trek and admire the marvelous panorama of the area.
Stroll Through Visso
Visso is the seat of Monti Sibillini park founded by the legend 907 years before Rome. Unfortunately, this town was one of the most hit by the tremendous earthquake of 2016 and, sadly, still today it’s not easy to find tourists strolling through its city centre.
Locate the Macereto Sanctuary
Just few minutes from the town of Visso is Macereto Sanctuary, one of the most important pilgrimage hubs of central Italy. The sanctuary was erected near a small 14th-century chapel where there is a statue of the Virgin Mary, which, according to the legend, has miraculous properties.
Go to Hell’s Gorge
Hell’s Gorge is one of the most beautiful places of Sibylline where, if you are lucky enough, you have the chance to see wild, free animals, such as wolves or golden eagles. The most adventurous can also organize trekking in the area to watch them.
Admire Lake Fiastra
Lake Fiastra is an artificial lake with clear blue waters that reflect the surrounding mountains located inland the Monti Sibillini along river Nera. It’s a beautiful place to spend some time in relaxation, but is also the base to explore the neighbors Valle dell’Acquasanta, with its gorgeous waterfalls, and the Bear Cave.
Listen to the Legend of Mount Sibilla
One of the best things to do in the park is to reach Mount Sibilla and ask the locals about the ancient legend of the area. Sibilla has been known since the Middle Ages as a land of fairies, demons and magic linked to the Prophetess Sibyl, who is said to have lived in the homonymous mount. There is nothing more exciting than hearing the ancient legend linked to the area than here.
Head to Arquata del Tronto
This nice village is totally worth a visit, not only because of its beauty but also because it’s the only municipality in Europe whose territory is composed by parts of two different national parks. Arquata del Tronto belogs to Monti Sibillini in the north and Gran Sasso in the south.
Hike Mount Vettore
Piano Grande is a large plain to admire in the springtime when grass and flowers bloom. It is ringed by the slope of the massif’s highest point of Sibillini mounts, the Vettore Mount. You can hike it and reach the top to admire the valleys and rivers below.
Rent a Bike
One of the most beautiful and aventourous things to do in the Sibillini is to rent a bike (you can easily do that in one of the largest hamlets of the area) and go. The panoramas you’ll see are simply amazing and will make it very difficult to come back home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.