Dublin is surrounded by natural beauty, film-famous landscapes and bewitching medieval towns. While the capital promises raucous nights with the city’s witty locals and picnics on the vast green of Phoenix Park, it’s hard to resist the pull of rural treasures that sit just a train ride away. If you’ve got the urge to adventure outside the city, take a look at our dynamic collection of weekend trips.
An idyllic spread of countryside punctured by the ancient ruins, cloud-shrouded mountain peaks and jagged cliff edges, Kerry is the quintessential picture of Ireland. Take a drive along the famous Ring of Kerry route, which winds past the ice-cream-coloured houses of Kenmare town and on through Killorglin – home to the kooky goat-celebrating Puck Fair. The long-running event’s origin is a toss-up between pagan festivals or the legend of a fleeing goat that warned of the arrival of Cromwell’s army.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Strewn with the crumbling ruins of medieval abbeys and castles, Ennis is rich in history and character. The town’s picturesque centre is lined with rows of colourful buildings and pulsing pubs that regularly come to life with live Irish music. The surrounding region is a treasure trove of fossils and archaeological sites such as the Burren – a vast jigsaw of glacial-era limestone that appears like something from another planet.
Known in Gaelic as “the place of shells”, Sligo is infused with the salty air of its surfer-magnet bays. The county is a goldmine of coastal villages and rugged landscapes that sit along the Wild Atlantic Way. The cinematic scenery has found fame as the inspiration behind W.B. Yeats’ many works – with the poet even being buried near the foot of Benbulbin mountain – and more recently as the setting of Sally Rooney’s phenomenally popular novel (and equally popular TV series) Normal People (2018).
Under the guidance of a born and bred Strandhill native, take to the waves of this world-class surfing location for a thrill-seeking experience. Rain or shine, professional body border Seamus McGoldrick has created a safe environment for aspiring surfers to learn the ropes and find out a bit of local history while they’re at it. Backed by rolling sand dunes and overlooked by the neolithic tomb of mythological Queen Maeve (that tops the summit of Knocknarea), the surf lesson’s striking setting is reason enough to try riding the tempestuous waves of Sligo.
The Connemara district is a rugged sprawl of untamed hinterland and secluded, Atlantic-facing fishing villages. Tradition oozes out of every blade of grass and the cracks of Gothic Revival castles. You may hear the melody of classical Irish folk songs spilling out of traditional pubs or sit down for a hearty sea-faring meal in one of the coastal restaurants. The region is also predominantly Irish-speaking – a perfect excuse to try a phrase or two in the mother tongue.
Known as the festival capital of Ireland, Galway vibrates with the wild beat of live Irish folk music carried on the wind from characterful buskers and colourful pubs. The harbour city splinters out from its 18th-century hub of Eyre Square and is speckled with the architectural vestiges of its medieval roots. Once you’ve taken in the limestone structure of 16th-century Lynch Castle and the striking spires of the collegiate church of St. Nicholas, you should head to the Salthill suburb to try one of the famous oysters.
Witness the thriving aquaculture of County Galway’s Atlantic coast as you follow in the foraging footsteps of our primeval ancestors. Set off on an eye-opening ramble along the Atlantic shores, breathe in salty sea air and discover the allure of its unspoiled wilderness while learning about the edible sea plants (such as seaweed) that creep along the coastline. With your fresh haul in tow, return to explore a boutique abalone farm and discover the mechanics behind running the sustainable business. The tour finishes with a tasting of the fresh seafood that you’ve been learning about, serving up inspired dishes like abalone sashimi, sea lettuce and samphire.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.