Irish whiskey is great for year-round sipping, not just on St. Patrick’s Day. But we’re always happy to have an excuse to buy a new bottle, and the green-hued holiday is as good as any.
Jameson might be the brand that most quickly springs to mind when you think of spirits from the Emerald Isle, but there are many more that are deserving of your acquaintance. Here are a few of our favorites.
Clontarf 1014 Irish Whiskey
Triple-distilled and charcoal-filtered, this blended whiskey is an easy-drinker—smooth and mildly sweet, yet flavorful, with slight oaky notes from the bourbon barrels in which it’s aged. As a bonus, it’s pretty easy on your wallet, too; you should be able to find it for around $20 a bottle in most areas.
The strong move: Clontarf also produces a single malt that, while not available in America, has received a gold medal in the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Ask nicely and someone might bring you back a delicious souvenir from a jaunt to greener shores.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Knappogue Castle Single Malt Irish Whiskey
Knappogue Castle’s entry-level bottle is its 12-year-old single malt, made exclusively from malted barley and triple-distilled in a traditional copper pot still, and aged in bourbon casks. Its flavor leans toward the bright, fresh, and fruity.
The strong move: A bottle of the 1951, one of the rarest whiskeys in existence, and considered by many to be one of the finest as well. You can try a sip at Pouring Ribbons in NYC, one of the few bars in the world to carry it.
“The light music of whiskey falling into glasses made an agreeable interlude.” -James Joyce, died this day 1941 #jamesjoyce #irishwhiskey #knappoguecastle #knappoguewhiskey #knappoguecastlewhiskey #knappogue #whiskey #hillofthekiss
A post shared by Knappogue Castle Irish Whiskey (@knappoguewhiskey) on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:33am PST
Dating back to 1887 but only recently available in the U.S., this delicious single pot still whiskey produced by the Midleton distillery (see below) is aged seven to nine years in both sherry and bourbon casks, with flavors that include apple, honey, and nuts.
The strong move: Get a bottle of Green Spot’s sister spirit, the 12-year-old Yellow Spot, as well and compare the difference in flavors.
Midleton Dair Ghaelach
Midleton, a distillery founded nearly 200 years ago, makes some of the Emerald Isle’s most famous whiskeys, Jameson among them. To create the extremely high-end Dair Ghaelach, Midleton used some of its finest liquid, aged 15 to 22 years in bourbon barrels, then finished it for 10 months in barrels of new Irish oak made from 130-year-old trees; it’s the only Irish whiskey to use the wood. Irish oak imparts more of a vanilla flavor into whiskey than American does, resulting in a spicy, creamy, dessert-like whiskey. The label of each bottle is marked with the number of the tree from which the barrel was made; 10 trees in total were used.
The strong move: Believe me, if you’ve managed to get your hands on a bottle of this whiskey (which are rare and will also run you $250 or so), you’ve already made the strong move.
Teeling Trinity Range
The Teeling brand stretches all the way back to 1782, and was recently resurrected by descendants of the original Mr. Teeling. The main range comprises of a trio of whiskeys: a small-batch blended whiskey, finished in rum barrels; a single grain whiskey, fully matured in California wine barrels and intensely fruity; and a single malt, of 100 percent malted barley, finished in five different wine barrels: sherry, port, madeira, white Burgundy, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
The strong move: The 24-Year-Old Vintage Reserve Single Malt, finished in Sauternes casks lending a mellow golden fruitiness, was just released in an extremely limited edition.
Gearing up for our #StPatricksDay #TeelingTakeover at the #WorldsBest @deadrabbitnyc 👍🏻#SpiritofDublin #TeelingWhiskey #TeelingDistillery #TeelingTrinity #DeadRabbit
A post shared by Teeling Whiskey (@teeling_whiskey) on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:54am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.