Ireland’s capital is a child-friendly crowd pleaser, with zoos, museums, toy shops and hotels that roll out the red carpet for families.
Dublin is a great city for families. There are parks, promenades, beaches, museums and all-ages attractions – and many hotels in Ireland’s hospitable capital cater for groups with kids in tow, with larger rooms to sleep all, child-friendly dining times, junior room-service menus and even on-call babysitting. After all, it’s a holiday for you, too. Here’s our pick of the best hotels for tots, teenagers and worn-out parents.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Situated on the edge of St Stephen’s Green, with its fountains, swans and children’s playground, the Shelbourne is a perfect place for a family city break. The hotel offers a children’s menu, babysitting services and interconnecting rooms. It’s also just down the street from the city’s main shopping and entertainment area.
Families are drawn to the Fitzwilliam for its location at the top of the famous Grafton Street, on the edge of St Stephen’s Green and in the heart of Dublin’s entertainment district. Guests get a discount on neighbouring Cogs toyshop, children receive a welcome pack of goodies, families can enjoy bespoke menus in the restaurant – and there’s even a Wonka-themed afternoon tea. Rooms are spacious and, when interconnected, offer extra sleeping or living legroom.
Located on Dublin Bay’s C-shaped coastline – with the Dún Laoghaire promenade, countryside and beach walks close by – the Royal Marine is a great choice for families. As well as its swimming pool and children’s menus, the hotel has executive family suites that include a king-size bed, sofa pull-outs and rollaways or cots, as needed.
With its grand turrets and glowing lanterns, children will relish the chance to stay in a real Irish castle. The family package includes welcome packs for little ones, and the hotel is close to crowd-pleasing attractions such as Dublin Zoo – plus there’s plenty of open space to run around on Clontarf’s seafront promenade. During the festive season, it’s decked to the nines, making for a great pre-Christmas break.
Families staying at the Ashling Hotel will find themselves next door to one of the largest galleries in the country, the National Museum of Ireland, with its family-friendly exhibits, and across the river from the Guinness Storehouse. In short, it’s a great base for exploring the west side of Dublin. Family rooms can be configured as required, with interconnecting rooms available for extra space – and kids will have fun counting the treasure trail of cuddly sheep hidden around the hotel.
Family rooms at the Skylon are decorated with comfort and relaxation in mind and can be kitted out with double beds and singles, as required. The area around the hotel has a number of dining options, from Italian Il Corvo to Irish Restaurant 104 (set in a building immortalised by James Joyce’s Ulysses). Access into the city centre is easy, too, with a major bus route embarking from the hotel’s front door and proximity to Croke Park stadium, an interactive sports skills and games’ zone.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.