You’ve probably been conditioned to believe that Irish beer is synonymous with Guinness. A pint of the black stuff is, indeed, an essential cultural experience for any visitor to the Emerald Isle, but it’s not the be-all and end-all: as we recently wrote, even the most famous brewery on the island is very much branching out from its iconic porter these days.
Right now, the Irish craft beer revolution is in full flow. City centre bars, particularly in Dublin and Galway, are now likely to be serving sour brew, porter varieties and increasing varied takes on bog-standard lager, as less familiar names stake a claim to the scene at an almost impossible speed. This fact can only be good news for those who like a pint or three, as the race to get noticed is well and truly on, and Wicklow Brewery, a small craft operation based in the county to the south of the capital, has logged an impressive new concept to that end.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Their latest offering is ‘Hopknut’, which they describe as ‘the beer of the Vikings’.
Explaining the new brew, they told Culture Trip: ‘the former name of Wicklow was Wickinglo which means “Meadow of Vikings”. It was later anglicised to Wicklow. [We use] hop because of all those wonderful hops in the beer and Knut, who was a former Viking Warrior. Coincidently the Viking [TV] series is being filmed in neighbouring Ashford.’
Knut, incidentally, is often anglicised as ‘Cnut’ – which perhaps has obvious difficulties as a beer branding – once the king of an 11th-century North Sea Empire that incorporated Denmark, Norway and England.
So how will the brewers celebrate this Viking Brew, which recently won the International Beer Challenge (London), scooping the Overall Trophy for the Best Ale in the Under 5% category? By using it to reward Wicklow County’s abundant hikers, naturally.
Lugnaquilla (meaning ‘hollow of the wood’) is the highest peak in the substantial Wicklow Mountains National Park, and at 925 metres (3,035 feet), the second tallest peak outside of Kerry’s challenging Macgillycuddy’s Reeks range. Offering a challenging climb from three common approaches, it takes most who take on the trails around three hours to reach the summit. On arrival, you can ogle the Irish Sea, much of the rest of the Wicklow Mountains, and (on a really clear day) the peaks of Snowdonia in Wales.
On Sunday, August 27, 2017, between 1 pm and 3 pm (allow for climbing time if you’re heading for the peak), Wicklow Brewery will set up at the top of the mountain, rewarding those who reach the top with a swift can ‘on the house’.
This particular offering, they promise, is the first of several planned for around Wicklow. Other beers that might get in on the act include their Black 16 Stout, GingerKnut (another Viking-referencing offering), St Kevin’s Red (a reference to the pilgrim and his trail), or Helles. Their Facebook page will supply updates.
As well as their colourful interactions with their environment, incidentally, Wicklow Brewery are also heavily involved with Wicklow’s most popular watering hole, Mickey Finns, and also offer tours of their brewery, located in the tiny Wicklow town of Redcross. Get all the info from their website, here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.