We caught a glimpse of Skellig Michael at the end of The Force Awakens as Rey (Daisy Ridley) embarked on a dangerous mission to find Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), but that was a mere taster for fans… The new Star Wars film, out this week, features even more of these spectacular Irish locations.
The spectacular coastlines, rugged mountain ranges and vast open spaces of Ireland’s western periphery have long been a tourist favourite, but recently, this area has been drawing in another kind of traveller. With filming locations for the latest Star Wars films taking in much of the western seaboard – as well as both the country’s most southerly and most northerly points –Ireland’s ‘Wild Atlantic Way’ has become a dream destination for die-hard fans of the fantasy franchise.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Star Wars in County Kerry
When the first part of the long-awaited Star Wars sequel trilogy, Episode VII – The Force Awakens, was released in 2015, County Kerry residents were particularly excited, what with their very own Skellig Michael – already a UNESCO World Heritage Site – providing the dramatic setting for the epic’s final scene. This atmospheric, rocky island off the Ring of Kerry’s Iveragh Peninsula was once home to a Christian monastery, but has been uninhabited since the 12th century.
Today, several Kerry tour operators run Star Wars-themed tours of the island, as well as the village of Portmagee – known as ‘the gate to Skellig Michael’ – where cast and crew were based during filming in 2014. Mark Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker, is even rumoured to have learned to pull a pint in the local Moorings Bar and Guesthouse. Even more filming took place in Kerry this year for the second instalment of the trilogy – Star Wars: Episode VIII – due for release in 2017. This time, shooting took place at the Ceann Sibéal (Sybil Head) headland in Ballyferriter.
After taking in where it all began, the next stop on a Star Wars tour of Ireland should be West Cork, specifically Brow Head, near the village of Crookhaven. Here, further scenes for the second instalment of the trilogy were filmed on a cinematic stretch of coastline that is mainland Ireland’s most southerly point.
While seeing sites used in the film, visitors can legitimately expect to experience the stereotypical Irish ‘céad míle fáilte’ – a hundred thousand welcomes – in this part of the country. LucasFilm took out a whopping eight ads in local newspapers in the west of Ireland – as well as one national ad – to thank the people of West Cork specifically for their warm hospitality.
County Clare’s Loop Head Peninsula and its photogenic lighthouse would be well worth visiting even if you aren’t Star Wars obsessed, having been voted the best place to holiday in Ireland in 2013. The area has been at the heart of forward-looking Irish tourism since as far back as 2010 when it was awarded a European Destinations of Excellence Award. Last year, it took gold at the Irish Responsible Tourism Awards.
In May of 2016, filming for Star Wars: Episode VIII set up here for two days, with the lighthouse obligingly being closed to the public for the duration. It is generally open daily from April through to October, with a guided tour up into its head and onto the balcony affording a stunning view of the Wild Atlantic Way.
As well as filming extensively at south-western locations, the LucasFilm crew also headed to Malin Head on Donegal’s Inishowen Peninsula, the most northerly tip of the island of Ireland and the end point of the Wild Atlantic Way route. Along with the January 2015 launch of the Donegal Film Office’s new website, it is hoped that its featuring in Star Wars will bring many more visitors to Inishowen. A visitor centre is planned for Malin Head by the summer of 2018.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.