Sip a pint of Einstök alongside Reykjavík locals or catch the Northern Lights from your hot tub – these are the best places to stay in the capital of Iceland.
Wondering where to stay in Reykjavík for a visit that isn’t just run-of-the-mill? We’ve got you covered. This Nordic city teems with hotels, ideal for millennial travellers or eager returnees who want to see a different side of the capital. Rub shoulders with residents in a hip bar or warm up in the sauna at these Reykjavík hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Art lovers need look no further than Hotel Holt, home to the largest private collection of Icelandic art. Hundreds of works are on display throughout, including seascapes, stoneware reliefs and bronze sculptures. You can learn more on a twice-weekly art walk around the hotel. Choose between a simple single or double room or a suite. Downstairs, cosy up by the fireplace with a whiskey before dining on the hotel’s tasting menu with organic wines to match.
Overlooking Austurvöllur square, this grand Art Deco hotel has long been a Reykjavík landmark. Rooms include bathrobes, slippers, Bluetooth speakers and Nespresso machines as standard. Upgrade to the Tower Suite for panoramic city views. Downstairs, Borg Spa is one of the best in the city. Unwind in the hot tub or sauna after a long day pounding the pavements.
Where to stay in Iceland for some boho chic? Try this quirky hotel, located in an ex-office building in Reykjavík’s quaint Holt area. The vibe is cool yet unpretentious – think exposed brick walls, graffiti-style art and industrial lighting. The hotel offers standard or superior single, double and triple rooms. Expect four-poster beds, parquet floors and organic toiletries. Look out the window for great views of the city and Mount Esja.
Hotel Alda is located at the quiet end of Laugavegur, Reykjavík’s main shopping street. It’s a perfect locale if you’re after a calm oasis, only a 15-minute walk from the city centre. The outdoor hot tub is a highlight – candlelit at night, it’s just the spot for catching the Aurora Borealis. The hotel also boasts a trendy barber, plus a brasserie.
This centrally located, cosmopolitan hotel offers 52 modern rooms, designed by Icelandic architect Gulla Jónsdóttir. Book the Junior Suite – you’ll gain complimentary access to the spa with its large hot tub and rainfall shower. Downstairs, join the locals at a live music night at the Jörgensen Kitchen & Bar. Alternatively, take the elevator to the eighth floor for killer harbour views from the SKY Restaurant. The hotel also organises tours, including glacier, diving and whale-watching trips.
Located on Reykjavík’s main thoroughfare, Laugavegur, this luxurious apartment hotel offers all home comforts in a prime location. The decor is slick and sexy – think dark walls, low lighting and vintage touches like retro leather sofas and Marshall radios. Kitchens feature all mod-cons while living areas are decorated with modern art and have large windows overlooking the city.
Join locals at Aldamót, the lively hotel bar, which serves light dishes and quality wines. Happy hour is from 4pm to 7pm – the perfect excuse to sample signature cocktails and seasonal beers. Then, head upstairs to find plush bedding, thick blackout curtains and smart bathrooms with locally sourced organic toiletries in the rooms, which range from cosy doubles to family-friendly boltholes that sleep up to six.
This former office block in downtown Reykjavík has been transformed into a sleek, boutique hotel with minimalist rooms and bags of comfort. Expect bathrooms with underfloor heating, balconies with city views (in the larger rooms) and Bang & Olufsen speakers. The restaurant and bar attract Reykjavik’s residents – it features a glass ceiling and menu with everything from hamburgers to fine cuisine.
With 50 elegant rooms, a popular restaurant and a central location, Hotel Óðinsvé is a great base from which to explore the city. Rooms are individually designed – solo travellers will appreciate the single-bed boltholes, whilst there is plenty of room for kids to spread out in the two-bedroom family suites. Don’t miss the pancakes with Icelandic blueberries at Snaps, the on-site bistro.
Still considering where to stay in Reykjavík? Check out our pick of the best bed and breakfasts to book in Reykjavík. Alternatively, make a visit even more special with our exclusive five-day Iceland trip – perfect for exploring the country’s phenomenal scenery and much more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.