An increasingly popular honeymoon and wedding destination, Iceland is notorious for its romantic vibes during every season. While you can find many unusual things to do in Iceland, here are a few things to do in Reykjavik that make for especially interesting date ideas. Apparently, even Game of Thrones co-stars fell in love here.
Northern lights boat tour
From October to April, you can be aurora borealis spies with Guide to Iceland, that offers boat excursions at night in search of the northern lights. There is a great chance of seeing a clear and beautiful display once you are away from the city lights and surrounded by darkness above and below.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take the five-minute ferry from the Reykjavik harbor to this small island, which features a cozy restaurant in one of the oldest stone houses in Iceland, at 250 years old. You can also explore the church from 1774 with the original interior still intact, walk on the hiking trails and on the beaches and coves. There is also significant contemporary art by Richard Serra and Yoko Ono on the island.
The Icelandic Phallological Museum
The Elf School
In the neighboring suburb of Reykjavik, in Hafnarfjörður is The Elf School, where you can take classes or guided tours of the most well-known elf habitations and elf-related stories in Iceland. The tour will take you to the lovely Hellisgerði Park and around the town in an intriguing folklore lesson.
Sensory deprivation tank
Float Reykjavik is a sensory deprivation tank that recently opened in Reykjavik. In a warm, densely salted chamber, you can find extreme relaxation. While it isn’t possible for two people to be in the tank at once, you can each be in neighboring tanks and continue the date afterward in an extremely relaxed state. How romantic!
Get a bird’s-eye view of the beautiful landscape surrounding Reykjavik through a variety of helicopter tour companies based in the city. However, keep in mind it can be difficult to book a tour when there is a volcanic eruption!
Check out Elding whale watching company in the Reykjavik marina for whale watching tours offered year-round. It’s truly a breath-taking experience no matter what the season, although your chances of spotting a whale are most promising during the height of summer.
Foot bath at Grótta
In this art exhibition by Ólöf Nordal, geothermal waters bubble up from the ground creating a small, warm foot bath. With a beautiful view of the mountains and the surrounding bird-watching area as a backdrop, this is a very promising date location.
Travel back a thousand years in time together through the excellent props and costumes provided by Mink Portrait Studios. Wrap yourselves in fur, leather, and metal garb and commemorate the event with this kitsch token of Viking celebration, or just pretend like you’re characters from Game of Thrones.
Haunted Walk deals with Icelandic history, folklore and ghost stories, all thoroughly researched by a local historian. Taking place during the evenings and only in the summertime, it’s the perfect pre-dinner outing.
Eat sheep’s head
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.