Hungary’s third-largest city, with its historic centre and riverside location, offers some of the most romantic places to stay in the entire country. Read our guide to the best hotels and apartments for couples in Szeged, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Situated on the banks of the Tisa River, Szeged is also known as the ‘City of Sunshine’ in Hungary. The twin towers of the Votive church are a landmark in the cobblestoned Old Town while eclectic buildings line on all sides of Széchenyi Square. The city centre features a lively atmosphere with atmospheric pavement terraces, characterful cafes and restaurants serving traditional cuisine. Stay in the heart of Szeged and you’ll be close to all the city’s main cultural sights, or book a hotel near the river for romantic walks along the quay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A romantic-style building from the 1860s, Balassa House serves as an elegant hotel with a high-end gourmet bar and restaurant. The 12 different sized rooms feature contemporary art and murals, exposed stone walls, free-standing tubs, and even bathrooms with glass walls. There’s a show-kitchen in the inner courtyard and a tranquil spa on the ground floor. Tiszavirág sits on the leafy, quiet Hajnóczy Street, only two blocks from the city centre of Szeged. Don’t leave without trying the smoked trout starter and the chai tea.
On a small sidestreet near central Klauzal Square, Dóm Hotel is one block from the cathedral and two blocks from the main pedestrian street in Szeged. 16 warmly decorated rooms come with queen-size double or twin beds and minibars. Couples will love the two-room apartments with a separate living area. The breakfast buffet includes a large choice of cheeses, meats and eggs. After eating, relax in the spa area or on the restaurant’s terrace out on the street.
A Mediterranean oasis in the heart of Szeged, Auris Hotel stands on a tree-lined street 500m (0.3mi) from the Tisa River and only 1km (0.6mi) from the main square in the Old Town. Book your room with a courtyard panorama and enjoy the sunshine from your private balcony or the sundeck, which offers both loungers and an outdoor pool. Upgraded rooms have sofa beds, while suites come with sitting areas and separate bedrooms. Pancakes, pastries and homemade yoghurt are the highlights of the breakfast menu.
Even though Levendula Hotel sits on the edge of Algyő village, it is only 10km (6mi) from Szeged’s city centre. The brightly furnished standard rooms feature large double beds while family rooms also include a sitting area. Enjoy romantic moments amid the nearby lavender plantations before savouring a lavender lemonade served at the hotel restaurant.
At Illés Hotel, you can choose between apartment and hotel living. Book a table at the hunter-style Stüszi Vadász Restaurant and relish the famous Szeged fish soup. The hotel features a pool with a barbecue terrace and is close to the Tisa River, in the quiet Felsőváros neighbourhood, only a 10-minute walk from the city centre.
An eight-minute walk from Széchenyi Square, this casual guesthouse is conveniently located in the heart of Szeged. Rooms feature tile floors, tea and coffee-making facilities and mini-fridges. For a special stay, choose the elegant deluxe rooms, which include a bathroom with a tub and a view to the court. Rent a bike on site and go for a romantic ride on the cobblestoned streets in the Old Town, or unwind in one of the two saunas then head to the solarium.
This is a tastefully decorated, well-equipped apartment, within walking distance of the Old Town. It has a living area, two bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen with a dining table for a romantic dinner. The clean, bright rooms feature dark-wood flooring, modern furnishings and colourful paintings. Head for a stroll along Tisa’s riverbanks, only a five-minute walk away, or enjoy a drink at a riverside cafe.
The city’s main sights and restaurants are within easy walking distance of the City Hotel. Rooms have king-size beds and colourful furniture, and feature panoramic views of the city and its surroundings. Relish a freshly brewed coffee at the pavement City Cafe on the ground floor then go to nearby Várkert, the riverside park featuring ruins of Szeged’s fortress.
Although there is a more traditional hotel environment available at the same location, the Soleil Apartman Szeged also offers live-in places with cooking facilities. They’re clean, new and simply decorated, which only helps add to the feeling of homeliness. The building is a former residential block converted into hotel accommodation, and as such the rooms are as comfortable as you might hope your own home to be. A tidy, secluded and newly renovated courtyard creates a relaxed setting in the summer months thanks to a number of plush outdoor seating areas.
For more options, discover our guide on the best cultural hotels in Szeged, Hungary, and book now on Culture Trip.
Adam Barnes contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.