A Hungarian monk who dedicated his life to God at the age of 16, Placid Olofsson faced a number of trials and challenges throughout his long life which would be enough to break even the strongest of people. He survived 10 years in a Soviet gulag for crimes he didn’t commit and came out with his optimism and positivity still intact. Learn more about the Monk of the Gulag – and his inspirational quotes which can be applied to any tough situation.
Born in Hungary in December 1916 as Károly Olofsson, at the age of 16 he joined the Benedictine Monastic Order and became Placid Olofsson. Father Placid would spend the next few years studying and dedicating himself to monastic life, until the arrival of the Second World War.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
During the war, he served time as a military chaplain at a hospital in the city of Komárom on the Slovakian border, before heading to Budapest in 1945 to work as order superior of a high school in the capital. During his time at Komárom, Father Placid spoke out against the harsh treatment men by officers, for which he was demoted. This outspoken attitude continued after the war sparking his return by request to the Archabbey of Pannonhalma. It was here that, in 1946, he was arrested by the Hungarian secret police (the AVH).
Under intense interrogation, the AVH attempted to get Father Placid to confess to a number of crimes. Despite their total lack of success, Father Placid was sentenced to 10 years in a gulag not long afterwards. So began a decade of harsh treatment, poor conditions and isolation – enough to turn anyone mad.
In these circumstances, one could easily be forgiven for losing any positive spirit they possessed. Not Father Placid. He made it through his time in the camp, coming out the other end with optimism, strength and hope. He has become famous for a number of inspirational quotes which both helped him through his time in the camp, and allowed him to reflect back on it afterwards.
He passed away on January 15, 2017 at the age of 100 but his spirit lives on in these pearls of wisdom and hope:
“Let us not dramatize suffering, for that will only make us weaker.”
“Always look for life’s small joys.”
“Don’t think that you are different than others, but in certain situations show that this is the case.”
“Hold onto God, because with his help we can survive any earthly hell.”
Life in the Gulag was tough. To get through it, Father Placid and his fellow prisoners lived by these four rules to keep them feeling hopeful and stop them from dwelling too much on their suffering. The third rule related to their captors, who behaved as if they were far superior to those detained in the gulags. To combat this, the prisoners lived by the principle that they were in fact above their captors, and worked to show they were different from them.
“That was when I realized that it doesn’t matter that I was sentenced according to Article 58, point 2, 8 and 11 of the Soviet Penal Code, but that God has sent me here and I have a mission, a calling.”
True to his positive nature, Father Placid often sang while in the camps. A fellow prisoner, upon hearing it, told him that his singing gave him hope, causing Father Placid to realise his true calling on earth – to help others.
“I am aware of the fact that I am a simple man of average abilities, I have no special physical or mental skills. But life always demanded more from me than I was capable of; God always stood next to me, and more than once helped me in miraculous ways.”
Reflecting back on his life, Placid Olofsson once again showed his ability to always see the good in any situation; to hold onto his belief; and to pursue his convictions.
“Remember this: God has a good sense of humor! The Soviet Union tried everything to ruin me for 10 years. But I’m still here, and where is the Soviet Union?”
Speaking after his imprisonment in the Gulag, Father Placid proved that not only God had a sense of humor but, in his ability to take this viewpoint, so did he!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.