There’s a lot to love about Budapest: the atmospheric ruin bars, regal Buda Castle and the steaming Széchenyi thermal baths, surrounded by opulent golden architecture. You’ll enjoy it all the more when you book a self-catering apartment because you’ll have space to spread out and you’ll save money by cooking for yourself – leaving more cash for sightseeing. Here are our favourite Budapest holiday rentals and Airbnbs, bookable with Culture Trip.
In the heart of Pest’s eclectic District VII, 7seasons has plenty on its doorstep for exploring, whatever your sightseeing tastes. To the west lies St Stephen’s Basilica, and to the east, some of the city’s most popular raucous ruin pubs. Ranging from studios to two-bedroom apartments, sleeping four to six people, the modern decor of whites and greys is slick and a crowd-pleaser.
South of the tourist centre, on the Pest side of the Danube, these studios and two-bedroom flats are perfect for shoppers as the building is connected to a retail centre. Memory foam beds and TVs with Netflix will make you feel at home – and are perfect for unwinding after visiting grand Buda Castle or exploring the bars of the Jewish Quarter. White walls and kitchen cabinets provide a bright feel; washing machines are provided too.
There’s a lot to love about these apartments which come with kitchens, potted plants, on-trend furniture and, in some cases, little balconies on which to enjoy your morning coffee or evening beer. Ranging from studios to three-bedroom apartments, they sleep two to six people and are within easy access of Buda castle, Széchenyi chain bridge and St Stephen’s Basilica. A hotel-style concierge service to help book tours and tickets is a welcome extra.
Fancy a regal, olde-worlde Hungarian stay? This two-bedroom apartment, sleeping six, oozes regal atmosphere with its chandeliers, gilded mirrors, antique chaise lounge and sculptures. Tall wooden windows look out over the grand 19th-century architecture of Keleti railway station.The kitchen, however, is all mod cons with fridge, microwave and toaster.
These studio apartments, sleeping two to six people, are less than a 10-minute walk away from the parliament building which is situated on the Danube river. Many visitors don’t bother visiting as it’s a little too far north of the main sights for weekenders to bother. The apartments are compact but cleverly designed to provide everything you need for a self-catering break such as kitchen, small dining area and washing machine.
You’ll really appreciate this central one-bedroom apartment in summer as there’s a sunny balcony, overlooking tiled rooftops and greenery, on which to take your morning cup of tea. Full of faded grandeur, and sleeping three, there’s a large kitchen and dining area so catering for yourselves is easy and a number of supermarkets are close by.
These studio and two-bedroom apartments (sleeping two to six) are close to the Váci shopping street. After wandering the historic, pedestrianised strip, return to these modern apartments which are decked out in potted plants and statement rugs. Head back out again after dark, to Váci’s buzzing cafes for a cheeky pálinka (fruit brandy) nightcap.
Sunshine yellow hints from the sofa to lampshades and table runners add brightness to this cosy apartment which sleeps two. The compact space with parquet floors and star-print wallpaper has all the kitchen equipment you will need to make simple meals. Ruin pubs and restaurants are close if you don’t fancy eating in. The must-see Dohány Street Synagogue (the largest in Europe) is only an eight-minute walk away.
Catch some restful sleep under the incredible brick-vaulted ceilings of this subterranean studio, which sleeps up to three guests. Within walking distance of Buda Castle, the Budapest Castle Hill Funicular and the Széchenyi Chain Bridge, this Airbnb is a great base for sightseeing in Budapest. The apartment is artfully decorated with antique furniture and offers a small kitchen, fast wifi and a simple but pristine shower room.
Prefer cool and edgy over historic and romantic? This newly renovated apartment might be the perfect Budapest bolthole with its black walls and matching sofa, kitchen, coffee table and bathroom tiles. An Apple TV, Blu-ray player and high-speed internet are among the high-tech amenities available to guests. Sleeping up to four people, the flat is set in the heart of Budapest’s Jewish Quarter.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.