Veszprém, also known as the ‘City of Queens,’ is one of Hungary’s hidden treasures. With its winding streets, steep inclines and many romantic corners, you could almost feel that you had drifted into an enchanted town. Also, Lake Balaton and the hills of Bakony are within striking distance for an excursion. Start your day with one of these 10 great brunch places.
Experience a spoonful of Tuscany in Veszprém. With its blend of impeccable ingredients, courteous service and the exceptional flavors of the food on offer, Chianti restaurant definitely sets a standard. Anything you might order has a hint of class, courgette with pine nuts, duck foie gras with pumpkin and Giulia anchovy macaroons or gnocchi filled with wild marjoram cottage cheese, served with truffle goat cheese. In their gourmet shop you can choose from great coffees while you are waiting for your sandwich with Serrano ham.
Address & telephone number (restaurant): Csermák Antal street 13 Veszprém, Hungary +36 88 410 385
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Address & telephone number (gourmet shop): Dornyai street 4 Veszprém, Hungary +36 20 487 33 34
Situated in the old town, the castle is only a few meters away, which renders this café an ideal place for an evening meal followed by a slow, romantic walk to the old buildings, where you can admire the panorama of the whole city. With its warm yellow walls, you will feel instantly welcomed. You can choose from either the daily menu or from the a la carte selection. Italian and Hungarian dishes create a nice mixture of flavors.
Address & telephone number: Óváros square 4 Veszprém, Hungary +36 88 444 445
Kultúrmacska, or ‘Cult Cat’ in English, has a name that is not a mistake; in this café there are real cats to entertain and to be entertained. You can taste exceptional and posh coffees and teas, alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails as well as homemade cakes, sandwiches and goffri. In a very cozy environment, surrounded by warm brick walls and sagging armchairs, you can enjoy your drink with the resident gorgeous cats, a unique experience.
Address & telephone number: Madách street 13 Veszprém, Hungary +36 88 870 867
Kávé és Teaház Az Íródeákhoz
Coffee and teahouse to the Scrivener, this café, standing in the library’s garden, is a hidden and cozy spot for a lovely tea or hot chocolate or cakes. Surrounded by books in a half-shady space and sitting on soft cushions, a drink here can be a unique experience. You might have the urge to read or write something, you can ask for a piece of paper if the muse takes you. Every milky drink can be ordered with lactose-free milk.
Address & telephone number: Komakút square 3 Veszprém, Hungary +36 30 973 7275
This weirdly shaped building stands beside the main road, and you certainly can’t miss it, it looks like a giant tuning-fork, hence its name. Accordingly, a schedule of concerts and lectures takes place here, you can check them out on their website. You can also have breakfast or lunch in this unique environment – lots of coffess and teas are on the menu, and a daily changing lunch offer is also available.
Address & telephone number: Brusznyai street 2 Veszprém, Hungary +36 88 889 179
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.