Though Greece may be known for its beaches and islands, it is certainly an ideal destination for the winter months. And with 80% of its territory being mountainous, it has some fantastic well-kept secret places that deserve to be known, such as Metsovo, in Epirus. Here is why you should visit this beautiful village.
A mountainous gem
Perched on the mountainside of the range of Pindos, Metsovo is a small traditional village that has tons of authentic character. Well known as a mountain escape by locals, it is a year-round destination that offers gorgeous surroundings – even more so in the winter, when majestic white snow blankets the village.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With its air of impressionist paintings, this marvellous village is ideal for art and culture lovers. Discover the area’s two-story stone and wood houses, known for their characteristic red roofs, its green scenery and its fascinating cuisine. The surroundings are perfect for nature lovers, with a plethora of hiking trails, pine forests and hidden rivers.
A lively village where tradition reigns
The picture-perfect settlement has a quaint main square, dominated by the stunning church of Agia Paraskevi, built in the 15th century. This area is where you can also see a distinctive everyday scene: senior men sitting on square benches and conversing in Vlach, the local dialect.
But Metsovo also includes a few sights to discover, such as the Averoff Gallery, where you can admire sculptures and paintings by famous Greek artists from the 19th and 20th centuries. A stone’s throw away, the Tositsa mansion is home to the Folk Art Museum. Inside, visitors can admire a variety of everyday items, including utensils, jewellery, firearms and swords, as well as traditional dresses, woven fabrics and looms. The collection also includes icons dating from the 15th to the early 20th centuries.
Walk on the cobblestone streets and observe the houses, breathe in the fresh air and take it all in.
The monasteries of Panagia and Agios Nikolaos are also worth exploring, both built on the banks of river Metsovitis, a little bit outside the village.
Don’t forget to sample the local cuisine
After exploring the area, you will quickly come to understand that tradition reigns in Metsovo, and as such, the village is home to a unique cuisine, which you can discover in one of its many tavernas. Make sure to try not only the local pies and the tasty sausages but also the local dishes prepared with metsovone cheese. This distinct smokey cheese is simply delicious, and you will want to drop by a store selling dairy products so that you can take some home with you. Finally, the region is also home to the Katogi Averoff Winery – a place where you can sample Katogi wine, an aromatic red wine known across the country.
There is more to Metsovo than meets the eye
Blessed with stunning scenery, Metsovo is also a perfect base station to indulge in some ski fun. Located approximately six kilometres (3.7 miles) from the village, the Anilio Ski Resort, one of the latest additions to the family of ski centres in Greece, awaits visitors. Perfect for skiers and snowboarders of all levels, this new resort is ideal for those who want to try their hands at cross-country skiing, and it includes five ski slopes and one for snowboarding. End the day at the chalet to enjoy some warm beverages and a hearty meal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.