Greece has many more features than just picture-perfect beaches, age-old monuments and a rich history. With a vast range of handicrafts and traditions still living today, the country has much more than the usual fridge magnets and Parthenon replicas to bring home as souvenirs. Here are some items you can only get in Greece.
Greek olive soap with mastiha
The mastiha tree or lentisk is native of the Mediterranean basin but only in the island of Chios has the resin been cultivated for production. As such, it used to produce a plethora of products and food items, but you cannot go wrong with buying a Greek olive soap with mastiha. Perfect for body and hair, this gentle soap will instantly make you think of Greece when you use it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
People know Greece for its ouzo and restina wine, but there is a delicious drink you can only find on the island of Corfu. Kumquat liqueur is omnipresent on the Ionian island and this is definitely a delicious souvenir to bring home in your suitcase. While kumquat originates from China, in the 1860s, English agronomist Sidney Merlyn brought the “golden fruit” to Corfu, where the tree can be found in every backyard today.
With age-old apicultural traditions, Greece is definitely known for its delicious honey. With several different types of honey, Greek honey can be used for eating of course but can also be incorporated into your DYI remedies or homemade care. You can readily find honey virtually anywhere in Greece, but there is nothing better than buying a jar sold locally.
Olivewood is hard and strong and has a beautiful grain pattern, giving each individual carved piece a distinct aspect. Furthermore, it becomes darker and more vibrant as it ages and has a smooth finish. Blessed with a strong population of olive trees, Greece has been selling olivewood items for years now, ranging from kitchen utensils and decorative items to jewelry. You will find olivewood stores virtually anywhere in Greece and on the islands.
Traditional musical instruments
If memories of Greece conjure up rebetika melodies, you may consider buying a bouzouki. Brought to Greece by Greek emigrants from Asia Minor, rebetika is a nostalgic music genre where bouzouki is one of the star instruments. Even if you don’t know how to play, buying one may be an excellent souvenir for a music lover or even for yourself. Of course, if you don’t feel like splurging, there are still other traditional instruments with more modest prices. But all the same, you should visit stores specializing in handmade traditional Greek instruments, they are truly impressive.
Teas and dried herbs
Greece is blessed with a rich nature and its mountains are covered with herbs and wild flowers. Why not take a taste of Greece home with you? Dried herbs, teas and spices are easy to travel with and can be found in any food store or open-air market. In big cities, head straight to the central market where you will be able to find a few selections of specialised shops. Whatever you do, make sure to bring home a branch of mountain tea.
Spoon sweets or glyko to koutaliou are treats usually often served to welcome guests in your house. Consisting of fruits, and sometimes vegetables, preserved in syrup, these are served on spoons with a glass of water. You can find them anywhere in Greece and they are delicious sweets to offer guests back home.
Greece has a long tradition of leatherwork, so you should grab yourself a leather piece when you are visiting the country. From belts, bags, wallets and purses as well as briefcases and many accessories, leather goods in Greece are made with good quality leather and will last you a lifetime.
It’s impossible to speak about Greek leather and not mention the leather sandals, the fashion item that Greeks and visitors alike both share. Perfect for the beach or the city, sandals are a great addition to your wardrobe and are excellent souvenirs. We are head over heels for the Andromeda sandal by Meraki Company. These babies are handmade and were inspired by the myth of Andromeda and Perseus.
Jewelry is always a good souvenir to bring home from your holidays. Skip the traditional silver or gold rings and bracelets with Greek symbols or the usual evil eye, and get yourself a piece of ceramic jewelry. This beautiful necklace made in Greece is definitely a head-turner and conversation starter. Make a statement and wear this white and gold handmade porcelain necklace with either your casual or formal outfits and shine bright like a star.
Alright, there is nothing exclusive about candles. You can find them everywhere, but we are simply so in love with this local brand. Funded in 2005, Waks has a wide selection of candles and diffusers with exquisite scents. Besides the classics, Waks also brings candles with unique scents such as rain, cut grass and saltwater.
If you are visiting the land of bearded gods and don a beard yourself, do yourself a favor and opt for a HOMMER product. Catering to the men who want to take care of their beards, HOMMER has a wide line of shampoos and beard oils made with natural ingredients and full of antioxidants. Inspired by ancient Greek history and mythology, the products are designed to clean, moisturize and protect the scalp and skin. Who said men couldn’t take care of themselves as well?
What would a summer vacation in Greece be without visiting one of its many fantastic beaches and islands? Save yourself the hassle and buy a beach towel 100% made in Greece. Launched in 2012, Sun of a Beach is a brand that embodies the Greek summer with its vast collection of beach towels and accessories, with fun prints and cool patterns.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.