The wider area of Thissio and the Acropolis is one of the most historic areas in the world. Wandering around the birthplace of Europe and the Western civilization, staring at the Parthenon, Propylaea, the ancient agora and so much more is a unique cultural experience that everyone should have, at least once in a lifetime.
The New Acropolis Museum is definitely the most popular Greek museum and one of the most important museums in the whole world. The museum has been open to the public since 2009 and constitutes the strongest Greek argument for the return of the Elgin Marbles. It focuses on the findings from the archaeological site of the Acropolis of Athens and hosts about 4.000 objects that have been found on the holy rock of the Acropolis and the wider area, which date back to various historic periods, from the Mycenaean to the Roman and the Byzantine period. A must-visit museum that will bring you in touch with magnificent reflections of the ancient democratic republic of Athens and the roots of the western civilization.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Parthenon was established in 438 B.C. as the most significant statue of the Athenian Republic in order to honor the goddess Athena, the patron of the city of Athens. It was the result of a collaboration between the important architects Ictinus and Kallicrates and was the symbol of the Athenian hegemony during the 5th century B.C. However, it is obvious that the political, the economic and religious background of this statue seems inferior to its artistic uniqueness and the feelings it awakens in its visitors.
The Erechtheion is one of the most famous statues of the Acropolis of Athens and is considered as a synonym of the Caryatides, six female figures that take the place of columns in the framework of a unique architectural concept. According to Greek mythology, the area of the Erechtheion is the most sacred area on the hill of the Acropolis, as the site of the contest between the gods Athena and Poseidon (about who would name the city). As a result, the eastern part of the Erechtheion is dedicated to Athena, while the western part is dedicated to Poseidon.
Τhe temple of god Hephaestus, known as Hephaesteion or Thissio, is located in the area of Thissio and is one of the best maintained ancient Greek temples. The temple was constructed with marble during the second half of the 5th century B.C. according to the plans of the famous ancient Greek architect Ictinus; its architectural order is Doric.
Propylaea, the dominant entrance of the Acropolis, was constructed from 437 until 432 b.C. according to the plans of the famous Athenian architect Mnesicles. Τhis building was constructed with marble and is divided into three parts, with the combination of the Ionian and the Doric architectural order. This statue has undergone various alterations during consecutive historic periods, from the old Christian period (when it was turned into a church) until the Turkish occupation (when Propylaea became the residency of the Turkish commander).
Museum of the Ancient Agora
The Museum of the Ancient Agora, established in 1957, hosts findings related to many aspects of the Athenian Republic that date back to the Classical and the post-Classical period. The exhibition includes various objects (from official clay measures, bronze official weights and identification tags to official bronze ballots and potsherds), divided into thematic and chronological categories.
Outdoor cinemas are a vital part of summer in Athens. Cine Thissio is the oldest outdoor cinema in Athens, established in 1935, and is one of the best options for an outdoor cinema experience, combining classic films with a great view of the Acropolis.
By Evangelos Tsirmpas
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.