Tucked aside in the northwestern corner of Greece, Epirus is a mountainous region famous for its rough beauty, traditional villages, impressive mountains and dense forests. A haven for nature lovers and hikers alike, it features several villages and towns still blessed with a traditional charm, relaxed squares and picture-perfect houses. Here are the most picturesque villages and towns to visit in Epirus.
Located near the Albanian border, built on the slope of Mount Tymfi at 630 metres of altitude, Konitsa is part of the northern Zagori region. Dominated by traditional architecture, it has cobbled streets, stone buildings, picturesque churches and monasteries and old mansions dating back to the Turkish occupation. Its surroundings are dotted with traditional Epirotic bridges, crossing over the Aoos river, which completes the scenery of this idyllic village.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Part of central Zagori, Monodendri sits at an altitude of 1,060 metres, lost in the mountains. Established in 1753, it is one of the most popular villages in the region, due to its proximity to the Vikos Gorge, a spectacular canyon that attracts many visitors each year. You will have a lovely time strolling around the village, admiring its two-storey houses, small schools and churches. For a spiritual enlightenment, take the time to visit the deserted monastery of Agia Paraskevi, dating back to 1412, which provides impressive vistas of the village.
Perched at 1,000 metres above sea level on one of the slopes of the Pindus Mountain range, Metsovo is located at the crossroads of Epirus, Western Macedonia and Thessaly. Amphitheatrically built across the slope, Metsovo is a popular destination, as it has perfectly retained its character and traditions over the years. While you explore the village, you will revel in the beauty of its traditional stone and wooden houses and its mountains views. The church of Agia Paraskevi, located on the main square, is particularly worth a visit, but make sure to stop at one of the many cafes surrounding the square to do some people watching.
Located in the Thesprotia region, in Epirus, Paramythia was built in 1,000 B.C. and lies at an altitude of 750 metres above sea level, nestled between the Kalamas and Acheron rivers. It may not be featured in most travel guides, but Paramythia still has this old-time charm that makes it stand out. Wander its narrow streets to discover traditional buildings covered in red-tiled roofs, Byzantine baths and visit the Paramythia before taking a refreshing break at the main square under the shade of a plane tree. You can also opt for an invigorating walk in the surrounding forests for a breath of fresh air.
Syvota, also spelled Sivota, is a small town on the coastline. Gaining popularity thanks to its tranquil beaches surrounded by lush greenery, Syvota is a mostly quiet resort. Have a stroll along the waterfront lined with cafes and restaurants or get dreamy at the sight of the fishing boats and yachts anchored at the little marina. The perfect outpost to explore the Ionian coast, Syvota is surrounded by secluded bays and coves from where you can enjoy relaxing sunbathing sessions with a cup of frapé in your hand.
Located at the mouth of the Ambracian Gulf, Preveza will give you some island flair without having to embark on a ferry. Tucked between the Ionian Sea and the Ambracian Gulf (Amvrakikos in Greek), this little provincial town will charm any visitor with its marina, its adorable waterfront and its pedestrian old town, bordered with stylish boutiques, charming cafes and quaint tavernas. For those passionate about history, the nearby ancient city of Nicopolis awaits. And for those looking to soak up some vitamin D, you will be happy to know that Preveza is connected to Parga through 60 kilometres of beaches along the way. Once you see one that you like, park your car and you’re good to go!
Built amphitheatrically on the slopes of a mountain, Parga is a picturesque resort that combines the views of the mountain with the sea. Boasting traditional architecture with paved streets, stunning churches, monasteries and a whole range of boutiques, shops and eateries, Parga is also home to a medieval castle built on the northern side of the port. From here, you will get to enjoy fantastic views over the bay and watch the sunset over the water. But Parga’s highlight is undeniably its many nearby beaches, which will suit all tastes and ages.
Undoubtedly one of the most atmospheric cities in this corner of the country, Ioannina is set on the shore of Lake Pamvotida. Framed by an imposing mountain range, Ioannina is definitely more of a city than a village but it certainly deserves a mention here. Travel back in time by exploring the old quarter, wander around Kastro, visit the vestige of the Turkish past or take a relaxing walk by the lake. For entertainment, the many lively bars and cafes in the city will give you a run for your money.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.