Dramatic Milos dazzles with its diverse beaches – from isolated coves to full-blown resort stretches with all the amenities you could wish for.
From remote beaches to pirate caves to wild, rugged spots and narrow inlets, beach-hopping on Milos will keep you more than busy. Located at the very edge of the Cyclades, its volcanic backdrop is out of this world, whilst the island’s beaches are just as magical. From jaw-dropping colourful landscapes to dazzling blue waters and natural galvanic formations, the coastline of Milos makes it the ideal destination for beach lovers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gerakas is a small sandy beach surrounded by white cliffs on the southern coast of Milos that can only be accessed by boat. The water is a particularly vibrant shade of turquoise, and you will see plenty of sea life if you dive in for a swim or snorkel. Boats can anchor here, so be sure to take some time soaking up the magical atmosphere of the hidden cove and its rocky backdrop.
Once the shelter of pirates, Kleftiko beach is a hidden gem, only accessible by boat. The impressive white rocks are the first thing you notice when you sail into the cove, which consists of three consecutive bays linked by caves and tunnels. Also known as Meteora of the Sea, this is one of the most untouched beauty spots on the island. Legend says there is still pirate treasure hidden in the caves. The small sandy beach and crystal sea is perfect for kids and exploring.
Offering sand, shade and the inevitable clear water, Pollonia Beach has all the ingredients for a day’s relaxation. Protected by a natural gulf, this small bay has lots of handy tamarind trees and a few umbrellas and loungers to rent. There is a car park, bus stop and a few amenities in the nearby village, but many beachgoers go further afield, so this is predominantly a quiet spot.
Like almost all beaches on the west coast of Milos, Agathia is very difficult to access by land because of the sketchy dirt tracks. However, reach this remote beach in a 4×4 or by boat and you will be rewarded with a serene stretch of long, sandy beach with direct views of the uninhabited islet of Antimilos, which seems close enough to touch. There are no facilities here but plenty of privacy, which makes it a dreamy spot for couples.
Tucked away between volcanic cliffs on the island’s southern coast, Tsigrado Beach appeals to the more adventurous, as it can only be accessed by climbing down a narrow crack in a cliff using ropes and ladders to aid you. It might sound challenging, but it really isn’t that bad and many beachgoers have been clambering up and down daily. Aside from the seclusion factor, Tsigrado has heaps of caves to explore, so come prepared with lunch, drinks, sunscreen and a snorkel for an all-day stay.
Designed for holidaymakers, there is a welcome row of straw umbrellas lining the long stretch of beach at Fyriplaka – but they get snapped up quickly, so you may wish to bring your own. You can’t ignore the stunning natural archway carved into the sea here; swim through and see that the water is only about shoulder height, so it’s perfectly safe to go inside the cave for a closer look. You can find smaller rock pools and lagoons at the end which are ideal for snorkelling.
Papafragas is situated on the northeastern end of the island, tucked between vertical cliffs, which come with a warning of falling rocks. However, countless beachgoers have braved the descent, and you will be rewarded with a small stretch of sand forming a narrow canal to the sea. The waves can get quite choppy, but if you’re brave enough, there’s a small tunnel in the cliff that you can pass through before emerging in the open, turquoise sea.
There are plenty of must-see things to do in Milos, as well as beautiful villages to visit on the island. If you want to see more of Greece, make sure to visit Santorini and choose between staying in a luxury hotel or a budget hotel, all bookable on CT. Round off your visit by checking out the best restaurants on the island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.