With hip cafés and restaurants popping up all over Piraeus, Athens’ port suburb is rapidly becoming a culinary hotspot.
Many people tend to think of Piraeus as simply the gateway to a summer holiday on the Greek islands, yet this southern Athenian suburb is quickly becoming one of the coolest spots in town for dining and nightlife. From upscale fine dining to more budget-friendly options, spanning traditional Greek cuisine and eclectic international flavours, the best restaurants in Piraeus are as diverse as they are divine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Beluga is an opulent multi-level bar and restaurant in Piraeus’s Trouba district, a historically grittier area of the city that has recently become one of the hippest neighbourhoods in Athens. Local designer Nikos Skopelitis is behind the establishment’s distinctive aesthetic, which he describes as “retro science fiction” and includes a theatrical bar surrounded by metallic geometric sculptures and a glass floor revealing Piraeus’s 2,500-year-old ancient walls. With delectable international cuisine centring on seafood, along with creative cocktails and an extensive wine list, Beluga is among the area’s premier spots for fine dining.
Ancient Greeks used the scent of diosmos (spearmint) to stimulate their appetite before meals, but you will find that trick is unnecessary at this eatery. Prepare to taste some of the most scrumptious mezedes (small plates) in town at this taverna, made with ingredients sourced from all over the country. Order the prosciutto from Evritania and grilled liver from Naxos for a memorable culinary tour of Greece.
Next to the port of Piraeus, on the border with the Drapetsona suburb, you will find To Eidikon, a traditional taverna dating back to 1920. A step inside this tavern is a step back in time, as its vintage refrigerator, antique scales and mosaics will make you feel like you are on the set of an old black-and-white movie. Mr Apostolos, the owner, says that they used to run the place as a grocery shop in the morning and a taverna by night. Today, he and his family serve up classic Greek dishes, like fava and meatballs, accompanied by homemade retsina.
Adding a breath of fresh air to Piraeus’ food scene since 2017 is CHE Cocina y Barra Sudamericana, which offers a colourful and authentic Latin American experience inside a Neoclassical building on Karaiskou Street. Walking in, you are immediately greeted by an enormous fresco painting of Frida Kahlo, which sets the stage for your dinner at the restaurant’s hacienda-like tropical courtyard. According to bar manager George Filippides, the shrimp burritos, along with the spicy Pedro Furioso cocktail made with chilli-infused tequila and ginger, make for an unforgettable culinary experience.
Upon entering Hams & Clams, you could be forgiven for thinking you’d stepped into a deli in Andalusia or a hip oyster bar in Maine. Yet this clean, bright space, dominated by blonde wood, copper and nautical decor, somehow fits perfectly in the Zeus Marina, where it is located. Created by four friends, it fills a gap in the Piraeus market by serving mouthwatering oysters and tapas-style dishes in a modern environment. Grab a seat at the bar and try the truffle prosciutto, jamón ibérico or a selection of rustic sausages, best enjoyed with one of the many fine wines on offer.
Underneath the traditionally working-class district of Kaminia lies To Kapileio, a cavernous taverna dating back to the 1950s. Decorated simply with old wine barrels, the environment is at once spartan and cosy. Christos Zachos, the taverna’s current owner, explains that when it first opened, “The kitchen only had one frying pan and served only small fish and pork.” Today, six cooks prepare and serve all sorts of delicious homemade food, from black bean salads and dumplings with rice and herbs to their star dish: fried cod with garlic.
A charming taverna that moved from its original location in Palia Kokkinia to a larger space in Korydallos in order to be able to cater to more of its loyal customer base, O Mimis kai i Anna is one of the most delightful eateries in Piraeus. Decorated to evoke a traditional Greek classroom, with school notebooks as menus, it serves a variety of hearty, rich Greek recipes, focusing on quality meats and inventive salads, such as the Agros with smoked pork and vegetables on a parmesan nest.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.