Where best to experience Corfu’s myriad cultural influences on a plate? Local chef Spyros Kontopoulos has got you covered.
As a former colony of Venice, Corfu is renowned for its beguiling mix of Greek and Italian culture – especially when it comes to food. Eschewing the Ottoman influence of the mainland, Corfu has earned a reputation for its fiercely original cuisine that celebrates the island’s longstanding Italian influences, as well as its rich local fishing and farming heritage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Spyros Kontopoulos is the founder and former head chef at the Venetian Well, one of the island’s plushest dining establishments. He spoke to Culture Trip about his 10 favourite Corfu restaurants, ranging from gourmet institutions to enduring family tavernas hidden in the island’s mountain villages.
Where better to start than with Spyros’s old haunt? The Venetian Well is a Corfu institution, offering a gourmet twist on island specialities, with an occasional nod towards Asia and Western Europe. The restaurant sits in an atmospheric small square in the heart of the Old Town, next to the eponymous well itself, and part of the fun is simply trying to find it by wandering the city’s beautiful – if labyrinthine – streets (maps are largely useless here – ask a local for directions). Spyros – who may, admittedly, be a little biased – refers to it as “the most romantic setting in Corfu”.
Head chef Aristotelis Mengoulas was born to a Greek father and a French mother and spent time learning his trade in the kitchens of Bologna, Italy. It’s these influences that have allowed him to create this pan-Mediterranean fusion restaurant, albeit one which uses seasonal Corfiot ingredients. Located on a small terrace in the Old Town, Pomo d’Oro offers “some very interesting and special fusion dishes,” says Spyros, “and a very informed list of Greek wines”.
Located down one of Corfu’s famous “kantounia”, as the Old Town’s narrow alleyways are known, Marina’s is a popular family-owned place near the old port. The food is authentically homemade and very Corfiot – try dishes such as pastitsada (pasta served with rooster and tomato sauce) and bourdeto (fish cooked in a spicy red pepper sauce). “Honest ingredients and honestly priced,” says Spyros, “You really feel like you’re in grandma’s kitchen.”
Moving away from town and into the heavily forested Corfu interior, we come to the Taverna Stamatis in the village of Viros. “Passed from grandfather to grandson, this taverna is a well-kept secret for those who know,” says Spyros. Try the sofrito – a typical Corfiot dish consisting of veal marinated in garlic and vinegar and usually served with fries. The decor is a pleasing mix of eccentric and cosy.
Few tourists make it out to the workaday farming village of Temploni, but those who do will be rewarded by one of Corfu’s best tavernas. “I especially like the ambience here,” says Spyros, “with a shady, canopied courtyard and a vintage Corfiot interior.” With a large menu (including plentiful vegetarian options), generous portions and live music on Saturday nights, this is a place well worthy of a detour.
Considering how heavy the Venetian influence is on Corfu, you would naturally expect the island to be full of Italian restaurants. While most are fairly run-of-the-mill, new arrival Mare Azzurro has quickly established itself on the island’s gastronomic map. It’s located in Ipsos, a coastal village popular with Italian tourists, and its romantic setting sees its tables and chairs spill out onto the beach to within touching distance of the tide. While the fish and vegetables are local, the manager imports all the pasta from Italy, and the friendly waiters will often welcome you with a free glass of prosecco. “Probably the only real Italian restaurant on Corfu,” says Spyros. “Don’t leave the island before you visit!”
A foodie favourite on the island, Evdemon is located in the clifftop village of Afionas. Overlooking the Diapontia archipelago, which marks Greece’s northwestern-most point, Evdemon has “one of the most beautiful sunset views on the island,” according to Spyros. He also highly rates the food, which he says “strikes the right balance between gourmet and grandma’s kitchen”. The owners, Yiannis and Evangelia, are popular figures on the island and are known for their commitment to organic food and locally sourced ingredients. Despite this, it will be the breathtaking Ionian vista that lingers most in the mind after you leave.
Located in the tumbledown village of Kato Korakiana, Etrusco is the only truly world-class restaurant on Corfu. It has won the prestigious Golden Cap (Greek gastronomy’s highest honour) seven years running, and its chef, the Greek-Italian Ettore Botrini, is a national celebrity, presenting Greece’s version of Hell’s Kitchen. Although based mostly in his Michelin-star Athens restaurant, Botrini decamps to his home island of Corfu every summer to head up the kitchen at Etrusco. “This is the most spectacular restaurant on Corfu,” says Spyros. It is also the most expensive, although Spyros says it is worth every penny. Botrini’s culinary innovations are too many to list, but they include a “black” reimagining of the traditional dish bianco (the name of which means “white” in Italian), and a Greek salad deconstructed into a gazpacho. “This place is really worth it,” says Spyros, “It is some of the most inspired, innovative, creative food I have ever experienced. I am in awe.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.