An eclectic blend of ancient ruins from the Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman eras make the Greek port city of Thessaloniki a haven for archaeology aficionados and history buffs. A pretty harbour, the charming old-world Ladadika District and Axios-Loudias-Aliakmonas National Park add further layers of history and culture to peel back. A stay at one of these top hotels in Thessaloniki will ensure you won’t need to wander far on your next trip.
Ajul Luxury Hotel & Spa Resort
If you’re looking for a complete break in the this part of Greece, you can’t do much better than this 5* luxury resort. ocated in the heavenly pebble beach of Agia Paraskevi region, renowned for its unique natural environment of pine tree forests and natural springs, Ajul Luxury Hotel & Spa Resort offers one-of-a-kind ultra-all inclusive luxury hospitality services through the accommodation at one of its 171 guestrooms, bungalows and villas. The weather is sublime, even in the later part of the season, so if you’re looking for a final getaway this year we think this is great option.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mediterranean Palace Hotel
This sprawling hotel draws heavily on both Thessaloniki’s extensive history and its own lavish title – you can hardly name a place Mediterranean Palace Hotel and not serve up a bit of pomp and pageantry. A popular choice for wedding parties, the Midas touch is palpable throughout the Mediterranean Palace Hotel, with gilded furnishings all around, glass chandeliers and art deco interiors that draw on the aristocratic atmosphere of the 1930s. Visit the Bonsai Lagoon & Spa to indulge in the back-lit lagoon pool, jacuzzi and sauna, or an aromatherapy massage in the treatment room.
In keeping with its name, the Modernist follows a sleek aesthetic that goes against the grain of typical Grecian design and is more attuned with a Scandi-style layout – a welcome reprieve for those who bristle against beachy bohemianism. Unsurprisingly, the hotel draws young creative types who use the Modernist as a co-working space as well as a place to stay. Everything from the hand-made toiletries by the family-run Physis Laboratory, to the Amma garments uniforms of young, friendly staff have been created by local craftspeople. Experimental cuisine comes courtesy of Ergon Foods and is served on stoneware clay crockery by Athenian Open Studio Ceramics.
The Caravan Bed & Breakfast
First built in 1929, this neoclassical building started life as a seraglio so hospitality runs through its foundations. A bed and breakfast since 2015, The Caravan is flooded with sprouting plants and travel memorabilia such as vintage trunks, globes and decorative VW vans that nod to its storied history of hosting guests from across the globe. This multicultural vibe is echoed in the eclectic furnishings and the owners’ own world travels – including a van trip from Athens to Lisbon, which birthed the idea for the Caravan.
City Hotel Thessaloniki
A stay at city Hotel Thessaloniki is like getting in a warm bath. The hotel stays true to the laid-back pace of Greek life, and there is a firm focus on green – both in terms of aesthetic and ethos. Snack on home-cooked food made with seasonal produce in the pared back Green Bar after a restful night in modestly decorated eco-suites and airy hotel rooms. Mixing ergonomic design with influences from the natural world, the inside-outside-style rooms inspire healthy sleep and an eco-friendly approach to travel.
Electra Palace Hotel
A hotel that stands out from the crowd, the Electra Palace has an astonishing Byzantine-inspired façade and is located mere minutes away from Aristotelous Square. Probably one of the most elegant establishments in Thessaloniki, the Electra Palace aptly mixes modernity with a traditional character, which definitely gives it a strong presence. Boasting a wellness centre including a spa and sauna, it is the ideal place to enjoy a first-rate city trip.
COLORS Thessaloniki Living
The vibrant COLORS Budget Luxury was actually the first apart-hotel complex to be built in Thessaloniki, back in 2011. It was born out of the imagination of a brother and sister, Christina and Fotis Drakopoulos, in an attempt to offer to visitors affordable yet stylish accommodation. They have done so in the form of bright rooms, including family-size spaces for bigger groups, and small apartments with fully equipped kitchens for modern travellers who want to feel at home while away.
COLORS Ladadika Central
The second project born out of the COLORS family, COLORS Ladadika, allows visitors to experience the dynamic district of Ladadika, with many restaurants and bars just a few steps away. This delightful hotel still features the unique ethos of the brand, with colourful quarters and signature affordable luxury decor. You can enjoy your breakfast in your room at whatever time you want, at no extra charge. These little touches are how they turn first-time guests into long-term returnees.
COLORS Urban Hotel
Located on Tsimiski Street, in the heart of the city, COLORS Urban Hotel is a casual yet cool boutique hotel with 21 rooms and suites. Besides the convenient location, the decadent breakfast buffet and the child-friendly vibe – in-room babysitting services are available – the hotel features a garden cocktail bar and a wellness spa where you can indulge in a series of treatments and rituals for a relaxing afternoon. You’ll love the simple furniture, the minimalist yet vibrant decor and the spacious rooms and suites – some come with balconies offering fantastic vistas over the city.
Blue Bottle Boutique Hotel
Blue Bottle Boutique Hotel is a small, comfortable and homely hotel offering a great price/quality ratio. Add to this a convenient location and helpful staff and you get a great accommodation in Thessaloniki. As the city is an exploration-friendly location with its many streets lined with eye-catching wonders and buildings, Blue Bottle Boutique Hotel innovates with an efficient bike rental service.
The Bristol Hotel
The Bristol Hotel is a homely two-storey hotel set in 1870 in the former Ottoman Post Office. Successfully renovated in 2000, it is located in Thessaloniki’s Historical District – Ladadika – and a few minutes away from the waterfront. The hotel has a bar and a delicious Italo-Argentinian restaurant, but remember to save some room for the morning breakfast as this is one of the best in town. The hotel facilities include car and bike rental, as well as theatre reservations. You have no excuse to get bored.
The Excelsior Hotel
This elegant five-star hotel, set in a recently renovated building from 1924, is conveniently located next to Aristotelous Square, within the city’s commercial and business centre. The Excelsior has modern facilities and includes a spectacular roof garden restaurant where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served. Refined, sophisticated and welcoming, you will easily feel at home during your stay.
The Met Hotel
As soon as you step inside the Met Hotel, you will see that it has something special. This hotel and art gallery features vast public areas, where sculptures and art pieces are methodically dispersed. The minimalist vibe, innovative restaurant and rooftop pool are just a few features that make the Met stands out. Ideal for art lovers, the Met offers a unique accommodation experience in this underrated city.
Daios Luxury Living Hotel
Located in the heart of the city and offering incredible views over the sea, five-star Daios Luxury Living Hotel is a top choice. If you are into luxurious elegance, this is the place for you. Designed to look like a ship ready to set sail, Daios seamlessly combines sophistication and comfort. Paired with a spectacular location and a top-notch breakfast service, the hotel will be your home away from home.
Looking for more places to stay in Greece? We’ve got you covered. For a beach getaway, discover our guide to the best hotels in Laganas on the island of Zakynthos or explore the mighty Pindus mountain range in mainland Greece by checking into one of the best places to stay in Meteora — all bookable with Culture Trip.
Mischa Smith contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.