Athens is one of the best spots to start if you plan on exploring the 227 Greek islands that dot the waters off the mainland – and the city’s primary port is located nearby in Piraeus. From quiet, family-friendly hotels to self-catering apartments, we’ve rounded up the best hotels in Piraeus all bookable with Culture Trip.
This newly refurbished hotel in Piraeus is just a seven-minute walk to the port, offering a convenient yet affordable place to spend the night. There are single, double and triple rooms to choose from, with some offering large balconies affording views of the Acropolis. The friendly hotel staff at the 24-hour reception desk can also help to organise city bus tours, ferry tickets, airport transfers and a variety of other sightseeing trips.
This hotel, on a quiet Piraeus street set back from the busier area directly around the port, is well suited to families – especially the quadruple rooms offering a double bed and two singles. Nearby you’ll find the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus, famous for its neoclassical architecture, whilst the Piraeus Archaeological Museum and the Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation Library are also in the vicinity. Join the locals with a leisurely stroll along the promenades of Pasalimani and Marina Zeas during the evening when temperatures drop.
This small boutique hotel in Piraeus has just 20 rooms and is located near the small port of Pasalimani, a 10-minute walk to the main port of Piraeus. Each room has air-conditioning, an en-suite bathroom and a private terrace, whilst there’s a 24-hour bar in the lobby serving snacks and drinks. The interior features details throughout that speak of the city’s nautical and archaeological history – think paintings of life at sea, model ships and ornate columns. The lobby also has a computer for the use of guests and a library of guidebooks that are helpful when planning your trip.
If you’re in search of a hotel with unbeatable views, head to the Piraeus City Hotel – it boasts the only rooftop garden restaurant in the city. The Niners Roof Garden restaurant serves Mediterranean-inspired dishes, such as cheese pies made with local feta, katiki cheese with honey and black sesame, or grilled octopus with smoked eggplant, white onion chutney & basil oil. After dinner, enjoy cocktails or coffee overlooking the harbour, which is just a short walk away. Join the Members Club for a discount on all room types, a welcome drink in the rooftop restaurant and a discount at the hotel restaurant.
If you’re planning a luxurious getaway to the Greek Islands and need a place to stay before the ferry departs, book a room at the Piraeus Theoxenia Hotel – the only five-star hotel in Piraeus. The star attraction here is the rooftop, which boasts a pool and sun loungers with views over the city skyline, the Mediterranean Sea and the busy main port. The best room in the hotel is the Presidential Suite, which has two bedrooms, three bathrooms, a whirlpool bathtub, a large living and dining room and a spacious private balcony. The interior furnishings are just as luxurious as the layout – think Fendi furniture, hardwood floors, silk fabrics and gold curtains.
Planning an extended stay? This four-star aparthotel in Piraeus has spacious units that feature comfy beds, a separate sitting area, private bathrooms and a kitchenette with a refrigerator and electric kettle. The hotel is conveniently located in the centre of town, just a 10-minute walk to the Piraeus Archaeological Museum. It’s also just a short stroll to the To Izaki restaurant, an affordable traditional Greek restaurant and a favourite with locals. Here, you’ll find an enormous buffet with dishes such as seafood pasta and chicken rice.
The hilltop neighbourhood of Kastella might just be the most picturesque area in Piraeus – and this design-led hotel is the perfect base from which to explore it. The interior is inspired by the surrounding streets, with muted tones and bright, modern artwork – the hotel also has unbeatable views of the Athens Riviera. There are 34 elegantly furnished, air-conditioned rooms and suites – some feature separate sitting rooms and private balconies. The Botanist restaurant serves fresh salads, wraps and other quick bites, while the rooftop bar serves Mediterranean inspired fare such as tuna steak in a pistachio crust served with green asparagus and sweet pumpkin cream.
Travelling with family or friends? Book one of the spacious, self-catering apartments at the Maryflower in downtown Piraeus. Each apartment is decked out in a contemporary, coastal chic style that evokes the landscape of the nearby islands. With a spacious living room, dining area, fully equipped kitchen and a shared or private terrace, Maryflower has everything you need for a luxury self-catering stay.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Ethel Dilouambaka.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sample the many great restaurants quickly giving Piraeus the reputation of a culinary hotspot. If you’d prefer more busyness then why not stay in the heart of neighbouring Athens, either in an independent holiday apartment or one of the best hotels catered to every traveller – best of all, they’re bookable now with Culture Trip. Don’t leave Athens before trying out one of the scenic open-air cinemas, you’re in for a treat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.