Greece’s capital has undergone an incredible rebirth, with chic hotels opening in just about every neighbourhood, from funky Psyrri to high-end Kolonaki. Whether you’re seeking to-die-for Acropolis views or accommodation designed with digital nomads in mind, discover where to stay in Athens with a hotel for every traveller.
Elegance, comfort and indulgence are what you’ll get at the Melia Athens, located in Athens’ city centre and a short walk to the metro station, which can take you quickly to some of the city’s most popular historic sites. This hotel is located in the “intellectual part” of Athens, where you’ll find charming bookshops and cafes. After exploring the city, you can relax in the on-site sauna, swim in the outdoor pool, or retreat to your room with its own spa tub. Finish the day with tasty Greek and Mediterranean cuisine served with impressive views of the Parthenon and Lycabettus Hill from its rooftop restaurant and bar.
If you want to base yourself near the Acropolis, the Herodion Athens is the hotel for you. This contemporary and elegant hotel is just steps from the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum and close to the Odeon of Herodes Theatre and National Museum of Contemporary Art. The Herodion features two different restaurants, a rooftop garden and luxurious rooms, with lovely touches such as fluffy bathrobes, slippers, private balconies, marble bathrooms, a rain showerhead and more. The best place to dine is at the Point a Bar and Restaurant, which boasts incredible views of the Acropolis – as well as a menu of fresh Greek and Mediterranean fare and cocktails made with local spirits.
The NJV is known for luxury and elegance. This modern hotel in Athens is located near various types of public transportation, making it easy to get around. Beyond the popular historical sites, this hotel provides easy access to clubs, restaurants, bars and other kinds of modern entertainment. Rooms here feature high-end amenities and views of various landmarks, depending on which room you book. Looking for something special? Book a night in one of the 18 suites. The NJV offers three different restaurant options, so you don’t have to go far to score a fine meal. Other bonus services include babysitting, car rental, secretarial support, a full business centre with both American-style and Greek-style breakfast choices.
Industrial chic meets achingly hip in this eco-aware boutique hotel, a short stroll from the Monastiraki flea market. Housed in a 1930s building that has served as a foundry, printing house and cultural centre, the hotel’s striking facade stitched with vertical gardens conceals 12 vast apartments. Original features – including bare brick walls, high ceilings, vintage record players and cast-iron furnaces – cosy up with state-of-the-art Coco-Mat bedding, bean bag floor cushions and vintage furniture. An edgy, after-dark music scene in the surrounding streets is the icing on the top of this stylish designer hotel’s cake.
Ergon Foods, an innovative Greek deli that promotes local producers, is a byword for culinary innovation in Greece. It’s no surprise that Ergon is heading up the city’s new craze for everything epicurean with Ergon House, Athens’ first foodie hotel. This culinary-themed, 38-room hotel in Plaka – the historical heart of Athens – has specially designated kitchen areas for hosting cookery workshops, along with its very own food market and specially curated minibar delicatessens in each of the airy modern rooms. Luckily, there’s also a well-equipped gym for working off those extra calories.
It’s impossible to speak of the best hotels in Athens without mentioning neoclassical grande dame Hotel Grande Bretagne, where Hollywood stars rub shoulders with heads of state. One of the city’s most venerable – and visible – landmarks, this swish crash pad standing opposite pom-pom-slippered Houses of Parliament guards on Syntagma Square opened its doors back in 1874. Nowadays, the stained-glass ceilings, antiques and oil paintings provide the spectacular backdrop for a plush, modern hotel – where first-class facilities include a seventh-floor spa with herbal steam rooms, a serail mud chamber and a heated outdoor pool.
To combine an exploration of the Greek capital with a beach break, head to the Athens Riviera. Divani Apollon is this beach-lined city suburb’s hidden gem. Just a 20-minute taxi ride from the Parthenon in the seaside suburb of Vouliagmeni is this glamorous hotel – which was one of the first to open along this rapidly-becoming-hip strip. It also has one of Greece’s largest thalassotherapy spas, making it the perfect place to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. “If you want to do as the locals do, you should also take a dip in the hot-spring-fed thermal lake just next door,” advises Niki Fotiou, the hotel’s marketing director.
Radiating out from the main square Plateia Karaiskaki, the multicultural Metaxourgeio district is one of the best places in the city to find hip budget accommodation, along with Acropolis views. Housed in a beautifully renovated 19th-century abode, Athens Lotus Hotel is surrounded by cutting-edge art galleries and a raft of intriguing restaurants. The 31 single or double rooms and suites have beds by Coco-Mat – a Greek-run company specialising in eco-friendly mattresses – wooden parquet floors and powder-blue walls. There’s also an atmospheric cafe bar – recalling a retro Parisian bistro – serving tasty snacks.
While the budget-friendly, centrally located Phidias Piraeus Hotel is the ideal stopover before heading off on a ferry to one of the islands, it is also the place to experience the buzz that is coming to define Piraeus. A ten-minute walk from the port, the standard rooms and spacious suites of this colourful modern guesthouse are within easy reach of Piraeus’s gritty, groovy Sunday flea market – where haggling for everything from vinyl to vinegar is a must – whilst the Athenian port’s legendary bouzouki (stringed musical instrument) haunts are just a stone’s throw away.
For a real dose of the authentic Athenian lifestyle, this cosy, great-value homestay in Elliniko – a residential area of the city ten minutes’ stroll from a beach and a bar-lined strip of coast that has excellent transport links to the city centre – is a real haven away from the city’s vibrant bustle. The dazzling white rooms with comfortable beds all have small patios or courtyards, along with private bathrooms. Breakfast, which is included in the price of your room, is served in the lemon tree-shaded garden slung with hammocks – and owners Majka and Dimitris will prepare and share an authentic Greek dinner with guests for a small extra charge.
Aimee Heckel contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best boutique hotels in Athens or a luxurious hotel for a special treat. For a relaxing getaway, check into one of the top spa hotels in Athens, or for a budget-friendly stay, check out our pick of the best budget-friendly hotels in Athens, as well as the best hostels in Athens, bookable on Culture Trip. If you’re with the whole family, check out a beautiful holiday apartment – alternatively, if you’re on a budget, have a browse at the best cheap hotels in Athens – all bookable through Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.