Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Connected via three ports (Piraeus, Rafina and Lavrion), Athens puts you right on the doorstep of many beautiful islands. Piraeus is the largest; from there you can take a ferry after transferring via public transport from the airport. Rafina is the second port, located 30km (19mi) from the city centre and only 10km (6mi) from the airport. It can be reached by bus or taxi. At the southernmost tip of Attica peninsula, Lavrio is about 60km (37mi) from Athen city centre and 25km (16mi) from the airport. Again, it can be reached by taxi or bus.
Aegina is part of the Saronic Islands and only 37km (23mi) from Athens. After a 40-minute ride on a hydrofoil ferry from Piraeus, you can discover the many charms of the island. Explore the Temple of Aphaia, which dates back to around 500BCE. The Monastery of Saint Nektarios shouldn’t be missed; nor should Paleohora, the former medieval capital. There’s also an archeological museum, where you can admire ruins and walls from the Neolithic period. Of course, is it really a Greek holiday without a good beach? Aegina has several worth visiting, such as Marathonas and Kleidi.
Another island in the Saronic Gulf, Hydra feels unspoiled, thanks to motor vehicles being forbidden. It’s an excellent getaway from bustling Athens, not to mention a paradise for hiking enthusiasts: stunning 18th-century villas pack the waterfront, alongside cafés, restaurants and several museums. The trek from town to Kamini is a particular must-see, while the secluded beaches of Bisti, Limnioniza and Agios Nikolaos are perfect for a relaxing beach day.
Spetses is a charming verdant island known for its neoclassical houses and role in the Greek War of Independence. This is another spot are cars aren’t allowed, so rent a scooter and go explore to find your little piece of paradise. Agia Anarghiri and Agia Paraskevi beaches – each a few kilometres away from the main town – are ideal on hot, summer days. But, don’t spend all your time at the beach; Spetses boasts interesting museums, such as the Spetses Museum or Bouboulina Museum.
Agistri, or Angistri, is just a short ferry ride from Athens, making it a popular weekend destination. It’s a small paradise where you can relax on pebbly beaches such as Aponisos or Dragonera. The beautiful waters there are ideal for swimming, diving and snorkelling alongside tranquil little villages.
Consisting of two islands (Sferia and Kalavria) connected by an artificial canal, Poros is separated from the Peloponnese by a narrow sea channel. Sferia has beautiful neoclassical houses, while pine-covered Kalavria is where you’ll find secluded beaches and hotels. Attracting many from Athens for a weekend or day trip, Poros is home to the ruins of the Temple of Poseidon. Climb up to the clock tower to enjoy all-encompassing views over the bay.
A Cycladic island well under the tourist radar, Kythnos has picturesque villages, crystal-clear waters and golden beaches. Tranquil and serene, yet with a traditional character, Kythnos is an unspoiled gem worth discovering.
Kea, or Tzia, proves popular with Athenians during the summer. However, all year-round, the island has a rich history, quiet beaches and quaint seaside villages. Visit the Lion of Kea, an ancient sculpture from around 600BCE, still in remarkable condition. Ancient Karthea is an archeological site to visit, featuring the ruins of a temple and theatre. Kea is also home to beautiful beaches, where you can enjoy some water fun.
Andros is perfect for hiking enthusiasts, water-sport aficionados and art lovers. Andros has a museum of contemporary art, as well as an archaeological museum and a museum on the olive tree. It also boasts remarkable beaches: Agios Petros, Ormos, Batsi, Korthi and Tis Grias To Pidima are all incredible. A visit to the Byzantine monastery offers a panoramic view over the deep, blue sea.
Christina Collins contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.