The third-largest of the Greek islands, Lesbos is known for its stunning beaches, colourful villages, thickly forested mountains and its anise-flavoured liqueur, ouzo. But it also has some top places to stay, bookable on Culture Trip.
Sitting pretty just off the coast of Turkey, the first thing you’ll notice when you arrive on Lesbos (also known as Lesvos) is just how different it is compared to the Cyclades and Ionian islands of the south. Instead of whitewashed villages, homes here are pastel-painted with terracotta rooftops, but there are still plenty of olive groves (around 11m olive trees, in fact), golden beaches and clear waters to enjoy. Here, farmers produce half of the ouzo found worldwide, and much of what you eat will be made with local produce. Below is our guide to the best hotels in Lesbos for your next visit.
Sitting under the watchful eye of Molyvos Castle, on the shores of Molyvos Beach, Delfinia Hotel & Bungalows is a smart option for your next trip to Lesbos. Rooms are well-appointed, with garden- or sea-facing views, but if you can, book into one of the bungalows for light-filled rooms and private balconies. When you need to cool off from the Greek sun, there’s a stretch of private beach to enjoy.
A short stroll from the golden shores of Skala Kallonis Beach, Pasiphae Hotel in Lesbos is a charming family-owned locale. Book a spacious, airy apartment if you’re travelling with kids or in a group, which comes with a kitchen and lounge area. When you’re not taking a dip in the on-site pool or participating in an aqua dance class, sign up for beach yoga or pilates.
You’ll quickly slip into holiday mode at the Blue Sky Hotel in Petra, Lesbos. Plonk yourself down by the sun-drenched poolside bar, sip on a cocktail and enjoy the sound of the waves lapping up the sandy beach around you. Rooms here are basic but have small kitchenettes, palm tree views and comfy beds. For when you want to explore, the azure-hued Petra Beach is just down the road.
A family-run hotel just back from Kalloni Beach, Malemi Hotel is known for its sprawling buffet dinners. The owners recently started a farm at the back of the property that now accounts for 80 percent of the vegetables served in the buffet – trust us, it’s packed with Greek delights. For breakfast, expect homemade organic marmalades, homemade cookies, cakes and Greek herbal teas – vegans are catered for as well.
Overlooking the glorious beaches of Eftalou and the Aegean Sea, Sunrise Resort Hotel in Lesbos is a favourite of the fly-and-flop brigade. This is largely because the hotel has two outdoor pools, a poolside bar and a spa with a sauna and a hot tub. Rooms are smart, and the on-site taverna serves delicious Greek fare – when it’s not hosting one of its famed culinary themed nights, that is.
Slap bang in the heart of the old town, Theofilos Paradise Boutique Hotel in Mytilene occupies a beautiful restored mansion. Behind its grand façade, the hotel houses a Turkish hammam and sauna, and serves a freshly made Greek breakfast each morning – expect baklava, homemade bread and small pies with local ladotyri cheese. The true star, however, is the rooftop terrace, complete with a bar and pool as well as highly Instagrammable views across the island.
Just steps from Mytilene’s old-world harbour, Heliotrope is a wise pick for travellers hoping to take in as much sea air as possible. Rooms are relaxed, with wood-panelled floors and accent walls – the majority also offering views of the Aegean or the town’s rust-red terracotta rooftops. Most of your time will be spent in or around the pool, likely sipping on the hotel’s signature cocktails at the stylish pool bar.
Located near the popular village of Molyvos and set among olive groves, Aphrodite boasts a very privileged location, being only 20m (65ft) away from its own private beach. This hotel offers all the standard hotel facilities including a swimming pool, taverna on the beach, lounge bar, tennis court and sauna. The excellent room service and warm Greek hospitality have made Aphrodite a popular destination for travellers to Lesbos.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Chrisa Theodoraki.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.