Whether you’re headed for a weekend getaway, a European stopover or simply looking for a way to switch up your routine in the city, keep reading to discover our guide on how to spend 48 hours in Athens, which includes the best of food and culture, so you can really soak up the best of the Greek capital.
A morning at the Acropolis Museum
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A jewel of Athens, the Acropolis Museum is a must-visit during any time of year. Opened in 2009, the museum was designed by architect, Bernard Tschumi with Michael Photiadis. Throughout the design, which dedicatedly recreates the landscape of the Acropolis, the initial sloping galleries display treasures found from the hillside, while the Parthenon Gallery on the top floor evokes the scale and spectacle of the marbles. The restaurant offers majestic views of the ancient monument, ensuring that even if you don’t have the energy to climb up to the real thing, you’ll leave fully immersed in the history of the place.
A post shared by Acropolis Museum (@theacropolismuseum) on Feb 1, 2017 at 7:41am PST
Lunch around Thissio
Walk around the base of the Acropolis on the wide paved boulevard towards Thissio. Located close to Plaka but without the same level of tourist shops, this is a more authentic side of Athens that gives way to the vibrant neighbourhoods of Petralona and Metaxourgio. You can’t go wrong with a late lunch at Kappari on Akamantos Street, where traditional Greek classics are made from local produce and are always delicious.
An afternoon in Koukaki
Walk through the picturesque Filopappou Hill towards the buzzing area of Koukaki. Home to the relatively new National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST), which is housed in a former FIX factory, fashion and design lovers should also pay a visit to the spectacular Ilias Lalaounis Jewellery Museum. Pick up a snack at Takis Bakery and enjoy endless people watching at one of the many bars and cafes in the area. Little Tree Books and Coffee nearby is an atmospheric and lively place to enjoy a frappé or freddo cappuccino.
A post shared by emstathens (@emstathens) on Jan 17, 2018 at 6:44am PST
An evening in Psyrri
For classic Greek food at affordable prices, Cherchez La Femme is the perfect spot. Located close to Syntagma Square on the cusp of the lively neighbourhood of Psyrri, the restaurant offers ornate design, with marble tables an oak bar and a decadent chandelier, alongside innovate and contemporary takes on traditional dishes – it’s well priced, too. In summer, the seats outside are fantastic for watching the glamorous crowds passing by and in the winter months, the indoors offers a cozy and relaxed atmosphere.
Afterwards, head to the heart of Pysrri and make the most of a host of great bars in close proximity. Places like Six D.o.g.s, The Frogs and Boiler all serve up a lively atmosphere and delicious cocktails, while Cantina is the place to head to if you’re looking to party throughout the night.
A post shared by The Frogs (@thefrogsbar) on Jul 26, 2017 at 1:08am PDT
A morning at the Benaki Museum and the Museum of Cycladic Art
Home to some of the most fascinating and diverse collections in Athens, the Benaki and Cycladic museums are cultural institutions that make for essential viewing. Located around the corner from each other, start at the Benaki Museum and take in the prehistoric, Ancient Greek and Roman exhibits in the permanent collections, before exploring Byzantine costumes and Coptic art. There’s usually an exhibition of contemporary art upstairs, too. Afterwards, enjoy a coffee on the large outdoor balcony. If you have time, the Benaki Islamic Museum is more of a hidden gem on the other side of town and offers an extensive survey of ceramics, jewellery, art and design from the 8th century onwards. Located close to the main Benaki Museum in Kolonaki is the Museum of Cycladic Art, where you’ll find works from Aegean and Cyprus dating back to the 3rd century BC.
Lunch in Kolonaki
Nice n Easy serves organic and local dishes with a strong selection of vegetarian and vegan-friendly options. In warmer months, try house specialties such as the marinated cucumber spaghetti or if you’re in the mood for something heartier, offerings such as The Elvis Presley (seabass with potatoes and smoked aubergine) will sate your cravings. For dessert, the olive oil ice cream is a must-try. After lunch, explore the many designer boutiques on offer and if you’re feeling energetic, make the hike up to Lycabettus to enjoy spectacular, panoramic views of the city.
An afternoon exploring Exarcheia
Situated next to the luxurious area of Kolonaki is the anarchist and artistic neighbourhood of Exarcheia, one of the many juxtapositions that make Athens so exciting to explore. A stroll underneath the picturesque Mount Lycabettus from Kolonaki and into the contrasting neighbourhood will present you with endless galleries, vintage stores and record shops to get acquainted with. Head to Yesterday’s Bread for the best vintage browsing, while Rhythm Records is a great spot to discover vinyl.
A post shared by Yesterday’s Bread (@yesterdaysbread) on Jul 5, 2017 at 4:27am PDT
An evening in Piraeus
On your final evening in Athens, treat yourself to a sumptuous farewell with dinner at the renowned fish restaurant in Piraeus. Yperokeanio is a favourite among locals and visitors alike, with a fresh and simple menu that will ensure you finish your trip to Athens on a high.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.