This island in the Sporades archipelago in Greece has two sides: during the day, visitors flock to any of the 60 beaches found along its 44km (27mi) of coastline, while at night the towns’ bars, nightclubs and beaches come alive with vibrant nightlife. Enjoy both scenes, basing yourself at one of the best hotels in Skiathos – from backpacker-friendly budget stays to luxurious spa resorts.
Check into this traditional villa if you’re searching for quiet accommodation on Skiathos, away from the hustle and bustle of the towns. It’s set on an elevated site near Agia Paraskevi, just off the main highway that leads to Koukounarie, only 8km (5mi) from the Skiathos town centre and just 400m (1,300ft) to Agia Paraskevi beach. Surrounded by lush greenery, the studios and apartments feature spacious balconies with sea views, as well as fully equipped kitchenettes. There’s also free on-site parking for guests who have rented a car to explore the island.
In the centre of town, this luxury Skiathos hotel combines classic Greek architecture with contemporary minimalism. The rooms are inspired by the surrounding olive trees, with earthy shades of green and silver. Six of the 11 twin and double rooms boast balconies, while the suite features a hanging basket chair and sea views. The location is ideal for guests who want to get out and explore: it’s just three minutes to the historic house of Greek writer Alexandros Papadiamantis, a 12-minute walk to Megali Ammos beach, and the restaurants and taverns of Skiathos port are just five minutes away.
If you’re planning a family trip to Skiathos or travelling with a group of friends, you’ll need plenty of space. This self-catering apartment complex on Papadiamantis Street, in the centre of Skiathos Town, has a range of options – from studios to two-bedroom apartments that can sleep up to six people. The apartments also have spacious living areas, fully equipped kitchens, plus convenient amenities such as large closets and washing machines. It’s also an easy five-minute walk to the nearest bus stop, which makes it easy to explore the island’s many beaches.
This family-owned hotel in Skiathos’ Megali Ammos is far enough away from the town to truly relax and unwind, yet close enough to enjoy its bars, nightclubs and restaurants whenever you want. Surrounded by olive and pine trees, its 33 rooms all offer views over the Mediterranean Sea and the mountainous island of Evia. The swimming pool has the option of relaxing on sun loungers, and there’s a snack bar serving up pizza, burgers and fresh salads throughout the day.
This collection of suites and a cottage, on a hill overlooking the town, are ideal for families and groups of friends. The five suites each have a double bedroom and a lounge area that can be converted into another room, while the cosy cottage is perfect for singles. The outdoor pool area has a separate pool for children, an open-air jacuzzi and an honesty bar. The friendly owners also make sure it’s easy to get around – they offer pick-up from the airport or port on arrival, and four complimentary lifts per day into Skiathos Town.
Megali Ammos beach is a long, narrow stretch of white sand with sun loungers, beachside taverns and watersports equipment for hire – and this hotel, set in a nearby wooded area, is one of the best in the area. There’s a range of elegant rooms and apartments – some with mountain views, and others with pool and garden views – that are decorated with colourful textiles, rich timber panelling and designer lights. Superior rooms and apartments also have private outdoor hot tubs. The Italian restaurant by the pool serves up delicious pasta dishes, pizza and mezze plates.
If you’re interested in exploring more of Skiathos than its nightclubs and beach bars, this one-bedroom villa is perfectly located: Moni Evangelistrias (Evangelistria Monastery), Agios Nikolaos Church and Clock Tower and the Blue House Art Gallery are less than 2km (1.2mi) away. It’s also just a ten-minute walk to the highly recommended Taverna Agnadio, which does excellent moussaka and slow-cooked lamb. The apartments can sleep up to five guests, and are all air conditioned with basic kitchen utilities, while some also boast furnished balconies.
If you’re planning a romantic couples getaway to Skiathos, this exclusive collection of suites is the place to be. There are six different types of secluded suites and most boast separate sleeping and living areas. Opt for the Heaven Suite, which includes a private jacuzzi, or the Two Bedoom Suite that’s one of the largest in the Sporades archipelago. Start each day with freshly cooked crepes and a choice of toppings, before ordering a cocktail and casual lunch from the poolside bar – then round off the day with a romantic dinner at the rooftop hotel Pelagos.
Looking for a five-star family holiday at your hotel in Skiathos? The Princess Resort is in pine-covered hills in front of the sheltered bay of Agia Paraskevi. Rooms vary from cosy Club Rooms to expansive two-bedroom suites with private pools. There’s a choice of two restaurants, a pool bar and a beach bar. If you’re in search of some quiet relaxation, book the kids into the Little Seals Club, which caters for children from six months to 12 years of age, and schedule a treatment at the Princess Harmony Spa – where you can even request massage treatments on the beach.
Planning a trip to Skiathos on a budget? Harmony House, just a ten-minute drive to Skiathos Town, is an affordable guesthouse within easy reach of Skiathitiko Spiti and Platanias Beach. Each cheerful unit is decorated with brightly painted walls, traditional tiled floors, floral artwork by local artists and boldly coloured bed linens. There’s also a dining area and fully equipped kitchenette, allowing guests to self-cater, along with free on-site parking. If you need to rent a car during your stay, the friendly hosts are happy to help.
This striking villa, in the hills above old Kastro town and Kechria beach, was designed in a traditional style. The three-bedroom main villa and one-bedroom studio can accommodate up to 10 guests in total, making it ideal for groups or large families searching for seclusion. The living room has glass doors that open out to a terrace with an infinity pool from which you can watch the sunset. Despite being in a quiet area, it’s just a 10-minute drive to Skiathos Town and many of the island’s beaches are between five and 30 minutes away by car or scooter.
There are plenty of things to see and do in Skiathos, including visiting some of the best bars on the island and checking out some of the local hotels. Alternatively, head to Athens to see some beautiful beaches and some boutique hotels near the capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.