Santorini clings to the side of a submerged (and thankfully fairly docile) volcano in the Aegean Sea, which has formed the island’s distinctive caldera landscape over millennia. When visiting, you’ll want a chic pool and terrace from which to appreciate all this natural beauty, and that’s what we bring you here – a selection of the best hotels with private pools in Santorini, from clifftop infinities to private hot tubs with sunset views.
Arrive in Santorini in style when you join our specially curated Greek island-hopping odyssey, which concludes here after eight packed days that begin in Athens.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The opera-inspired Aria Suites occupy one of the highest spots in Thira, Santorini’s clifftop capital, offering unbroken views of the Aegean and the caldera. The whitewashed, minimalist accommodations pay homage to the Cycladic style with curved doorways and enclaves, and include villas as well as suites. Each comes with a laptop and has its own pool and terrace, on which a champagne breakfast is served every morning. Yacht tours out to the volcano can be arranged with hotel partner Santo Maritime Yachting.
Here, the pool area isn’t the largest you’ll ever encounter, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in appointment and character: surrounded by chunky leather loungers, it hugs the cliffs of Imerovigli in northern Santorini, directly above the Skaros Rock and the Venetian Fortress. Gain access by booking one of the cosy, curvy suites, even the most basic of which has a balcony with views of the caldera and the island’s celebrated sunset. Thira is an enjoyable 20-minute walk away, and Oia can be reached via a short bus ride.
If you’re looking for Santorini hotels with private pools to take your breath away, you won’t be disappointed: situated in the vertiginous village of Firostefani on Santorini’s northwest coast, Belvedere feels as if it’s suspended in mid-air, floating above the Aegean and the mighty volcano. Take it all in over a poolside cocktail or on your private balcony, from which you’re also perfectly placed to enjoy the sunset. Firostefani is technically a suburb of Thira, with which it’s connected by a clifftop path offering memorable views of the volcanic landscape.
Named after owners Anthony and Eliza, whose family bought this 19th-century villa in the late 1980s, the Anteliz Suites are situated down the road from the Belvedere, high on the cliffs of Firostefani. Every morning, breakfast is served on the cloud-level pool terrace, from which you can goggle at the volcano that shaped Santorini’s lunar landscape. For private sunning and chilling, book a pool or jacuzzi suite, the latter of which features an open-air hot tub overlooking the caldera. Boat excursions to the volcano can be arranged at reception.
Step into a miniature Santorinian village at Kamari’s Tamarix del Mar Suites, a complex of domed white and ochre houses clustered around an open-air pool. There’s also a heated pool and jacuzzi in the spa, which offers caviar facial treatments and candlelit massages. Suites are spread throughout the five houses and revel in bold local colours – think Aegean blue and the riotous pink of bougainvilleas, vying for space on pale yellow walls. Kamari’s black beach is 150m (500ft) away.
Thireas Hotel & Villas offers four accommodation options on Santorini. At Thira’s four-star boutique hotel, the pool occupies the highest point on the premises: cool blue waters merge with sea and sky. Also in the island’s capital is the three-bedroom “1809” Villa, the terrace of which features 360-degree views and a jacuzzi overlooking the volcano. A little further north, in the village of Imerovigli, another villa occupies a mid-18th-century windmill (also with panoramic views), just down the road from Thireas’ luxury cave apartments in Vourvoulos.
Stay in the thick of it at Panorama Studios and Suites, a friendly three-star on Ipapantis, one of Thira’s main thoroughfares. Far above the ground-level activity, in a world of its own, a chic pool terrace provides sunset and volcano views, as does V Lounge, a rooftop bar serving cocktails and Greek and international wines. Explore Santorini’s eventful history and learn about its turbulent volcano at the Museum of Prehistoric Thera and the Archaeological Museum, both of which are just a four-minute walk from reception. Hotels with private pools in Santorini aren’t only there for a dip, after all.
An infinity pool, a jacuzzi and queen bed-sized loungers facing out to sea, the volcano and the sunset? Check. An equally impressive vista will also accompany your meal at the indoor-outdoor restaurant here, where acclaimed Greek chef Dimitris Skarmoutsos creates dishes starring the finest Mediterranean ingredients. All rooms and suites at this four-star establishment have private balconies, and most also feature private hot tubs and caldera views. Laptops are available upon request, and a free shuttle bus to Thira runs five times a day.
Marriott’s Vedema Resort occupies the site of a 500-year-old vineyard in Megalochori, a tranquil village on Santorini’s west coast. The wine cellars now provide an elegantly aged setting for both a private dining space, the Cavana Wine Bar – the tasting venue – and the intimate Alati Restaurant, where the menu focuses on locally sourced fish and meat. You can also dine upstairs, at casual poolside eatery Pergola. Accommodations have either city, inland or sea views and range from one-bed suites to three-bedroom villas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.