Chances are you’ll envision the clifftop village of Oia – the most famous of Santorini’s villages – when dreaming of a Greek island holiday. It’s known around the world for its picturesque whitewashed architecture, spectacular sunsets, and views out over the caldera and the island of Thirassia. Want to live out your Greek island dreams? This is our pick of the best hotels in Oia for every traveller.
Oia is perhaps best-known for its cave-style architecture. This luxurious holiday home combines traditional style with modern minimalism and a touch of coastal chic – think driftwood ladders, carved stone basins and steel-framed mirrors. The suite can sleep up to four adults on a king-size bed and two sofa beds, and it boasts an outdoor jacuzzi, sunny terrace, fully equipped kitchenette and a generous living area. Guests are welcomed with a fruit basket and bottle of wine, and the owners can help to organise a range of activities, including yacht and helicopter trips, horse riding, hiking tours and car hire.
Travelling to Santorini with a large group? You can book out all three villas at this complex on the outskirts of Oia village, creating a seven-bedroom property with unbeatable privacy that’s perfect for families and friends. There are a few two-bedroom villas and an expansive three-bedroom villa – each of which is built in the traditional style with a private plunge pool on a patio overlooking the caldera. Guests are treated to a complimentary welcome drink, and breakfast and lunch boxes are available on request.
This hotel in Oia caters to travellers wanting to experience Oia at a relatively affordable price. Take your pick of simple, homely apartments and studios, or splash out on a luxurious suite rich in Cycladian charm. The Superior Santorini Suites are ideal for families or groups, while the Junior and Honeymoon Suites are suited for couples in search of a romantic getaway. The hotel also caters for couples interested in a destination wedding, and has a dedicated wedding planning team that can help to organise wedding decorations, a bridal car and the marriage certificate.
This luxury boutique hotel in Oia features contemporary rooms and suites with private balconies and al fresco dining areas. If you’re looking for something special, book the River Pool Suite, which boasts a unique “river pool” hot tub that winds its way from the inside bathroom to the outdoor deck through a cave-like tunnel. The romance doesn’t stop there – the Infinity Modern Greek Bistro, by the hotel pool, offers candlelit dinner experiences, with an international menu that covers everything from Mediterranean meat and cheese platters to tacos.
Whether you’re a couple in search of a romantic escape or a family looking for space to spread out, you’ll find what you’re looking for at this collection of four houses and villas in Oia. Anemi Petite House is a cosy room with bright blue walls that’s suited to couples, while both Anemi Lovers House and Anemi House can sleep up to three people and boast fully equipped kitchens. Anemi Villa is a palatial three-bedroom home, in a former sea captain’s residence, that can sleep up to eight people. The villa also has a heated plunge pool and several sun terraces.
The owner of this collection of luxurious suites inherited the property from their grandfather, who was nicknamed “Fotinos” (Greek for “bright”) thanks to his sunny disposition – and this welcoming attitude prevails today. The minimalist cave suites, located near Oia Castle, all boast private heated plunge pools on terraces overlooking the caldera. Breakfast is served on these private terraces and made using local produce – think homemade jams and pastries, cherry tomatoes, seasonal fruits, eggs and fresh yoghurt with honey and walnuts.
This adults-only resort in Oia is ideal for couples in search of secluded romance. The studios and suites are built in the traditional architectural style and the Superior, Premium, Luxury and Honeymoon Suites all have private jacuzzis. In addition to the romantic setting overlooking the caldera, the hotel also offers a range of exclusive experiences – from private dining by candlelight on the suite terraces to in-room massage treatments, beauty treatments such as manicures and facials, and yoga classes. There’s also an in-house wedding planning team to help couples craft the Greek island wedding of their dreams.
These beautifully decorated self-catering apartments, ideally located close to the Oia Naval Museum, are a short walk from the heart of the town. Each apartment is air conditioned, and features a seating area and a convenient kitchenette with stove top. Guests can relax around an outdoor swimming pool surrounded by sun loungers, enjoy a coffee on one of the flower-filled terraces or book the on-site shuttle service to explore further afield – Baxedes Beach is just 1km away, while Santorini Port is a 25-minute drive.
Venture outside of Oia and browse the best hotels, from budget to boutique, across the rest of the island, now bookable through Culture Trip. Still need to plan your stay? Check out the top things to see and do in Santorini, including our selection of the island’s best beaches. Of course, any trip to Santorini wouldn’t be complete without watching the sunset, and what better place to do so than with a drink in your hand? To make sure you don’t miss it, set up shop at one of the island’s best bars.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.