Exarcheia has long been Athens’ symbol of anti-establishment. It was here that students of the Polytechnic University started an uprising in 1973 against the military dictatorship and where weeks of riots took place in 2008, after the death of a teenager at the hands of the Police. But Exarcheia is also where the idea of a cooperative-led restaurant was born. Discover the story of Theio Tragi, a hip restaurant in this emerging district in central Athens, where all employees are paid exactly the same salary.
Located in the residential neighborhood of Petralona, known for its plethora of delicious tavernas and eateries, Theio Tragi (named after a novel by Greek writer Giannis Skarimpas), appeared on the food scene of the Greek capital in 2013. The punk bistro features a sleek interior decorated with strong attention to detail, and a menu of creative dishes, which contrasts with the traditional fare found in many of the neighboring establishments. But what makes Theio Tragi stand out, is not that obvious. The gourmet-style eatery is run by a 10-member cooperative where all employees, from the bartenders to the chefs and waiters, share an identical salary. As Marko Marmatakis, one of the three chefs of the restaurant, explains it, everyone’s contribution, whether it is cooking, washing the dishes or waitressing, is important. “Everyone is just as valuable as the next person, so we are all paid exactly the same,” he said in an interview with the Independent. Furthermore, roles at Theio Tragi are interchangeable. One member tends the bar one night and brings the food to your table the next.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The founders of the restaurant met years ago in Exarcheia and bonded over common interests (including punk music) and values, so it was only natural that they would start a business that defies all odds, from reinventing traditional dishes and showcasing unique and innovative work ethics. The cooperative members all put money towards the project and found a place in Athens. And thanks to low rent and its convenient location, they found themselves in Petralona, a neighborhood known for its relaxed and low-key vibes, and virtually unknown to foreigners. As such, the clientele ranges from hipsters, local residents of all ages, to tourists and has been growing in popularity since its opening. So much so that the restaurant has an outpost on the island of Tinos for the summer.
But besides its equal pay, Theio Tragi shines thanks to its delicious menu. It’s no place for the traditional Greek salad here, but instead you can savor modern European cuisine with surprising dishes such as the beef terrine risotto with cocoa paste, banana and sage, or the pumpkin and quince soup. The cocktails are delectable and wine features grapes from Greece and abroad. Working as a cooperative allows the team to innovate and get creative. Theio Tragi is an excellent example of how the anti-establishment and anarchist generation is coping with the harsh economical crisis the nation is facing through creativity and resourcefulness.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.