Mykonos is perhaps the most famous of the Greek islands – and for good reason. The largest town on the island is Mykonos Town, renowned for its iconic whitewashed buildings, azure waters, labyrinthine streets and hedonistic superclubs. Whatever your reason for visiting this dynamic, dramatic spot in the Aegean Sea, we’ve found the perfect spot to stay. From a traditional windmill overlooking the harbour to a family-friendly resort that recalls a Mykonian village, this is our pick of the best hotels in Mykonos Town, all bookable with Culture Trip.
This hotel, on the narrow stretch of the Old Harbour beach in the centre of the bay of Chora, has been welcoming visitors to Mykonos since 1953 – although there have been several updates over the decades. Today, the pretty, white-painted Neoclassical-style hotel has 25 rooms, all with a private balcony overlooking the Aegean Sea and nearby port. Make sure to book a table at the Natura Restaurant, which sits beneath palm trees and overlooks the water. Here, you’ll find delicious modern Greek dishes such as Greek-style ceviche with fresh sea bass, kalamata olives, capers and spicy lime sauce. The shrimp saganaki with tomato Sauce, ouzo and feta mousse is a standout.
Evenings in Mykonos are all about dazzling sunsets over the Aegean sea – and this hotel overlooking the vibrant port is perfectly located to capture the setting sun. The rooms boast private terraces with city or ocean views and the freshwater pool overlooks the city and harbour. After the sun goes down, guests are treated to the sparkling lights of the nearby town and its vibrant nightlife. For a unique experience, book the hotel’s traditional windmill, one of the few operating windmills in Mykonos Town. The three-storey space features a living room, two bedrooms and a private terrace.
This elegant hotel complex, on a gently sloping hill overlooking Mykonos Town, evokes a romantic stone fortress and traditional Mykonian village, recalling a bygone era. The softly sculptural buildings are crafted from natural building materials that complement the surrounding landscape, while the gardens are planted with native Aegean vegetation that perfumes the air. The Restaurant Sunset Bar offers a wide range of local delicacies, from traditional meatballs with local cheese and sour cream to souvlaki of chicken with orange and mint. All of this comes alongside hearty international comfort food such as burgers and pasta.
Mykonos is renowned for its iconic whitewashed cubic homes and rambling alleys – and this luxurious boutique hotel near the port immerses guests in this magical folk architecture. The air-conditioned rooms are each individually decorated and offer views of the hotel grounds, the city or the ocean, while the superior rooms feature sea views and a hot tub. Want to explore? Borrow one of the hotel’s complimentary bikes to cycle around the island, or book a day trip to the archaeological wonderland of nearby Delos island. Elsewhere, relax poolside and enjoy a massage or facial treatment at the Olive Tree Spa followed by a sauna.
Boho Suites, near the famous Mykonian windmills, is a small collection of luxury suites that celebrate the spirit of a Greek island holiday – think private terraces with hot tubs overlooking azure waters, traditional whitewashed architecture with a contemporary open plan and chic timber furnishings and neutral linens. Designed to prioritise privacy and seclusion, the suites are ideal for couples in search of a romantic getaway. The friendly concierge team can also help to organise everything from car rental and day trips to restaurant reservations and spa treatments.
Cascading down the slope towards Mykonos Town, Legacy Suites is a complex of seven private suites built in the traditional architectural style with views of Delos island, Megali Ammos and Mykonos Town. Planning a destination wedding or honeymoon in Mykonos? Book the Honeymoon Suite. It’s made entirely of stone and boasts two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a spacious living room, a private sunset terrace and a fully equipped kitchen that makes it suitable for extended stays. The Garden Sunset Bar – a former haunt of renowned violinist Yehudi Menuhin – offers a magical spot to spend the evening.
This boutique hotel has been welcoming guests to Mykonos for more than 40 years and is still run by the same family that founded it. The building itself has an even longer history: it was built in 1740 as the residence for a bishop, an ancestor of the owner. The historic mansion and rambling garden capture the spirit of Mykonos and each room has been decorated to evoke different aspects of the island – from Mediterranean lavender to the bright sun. Looking for something different? The family also owns the nearby Dorion Hotel on the picturesque beach of Ornos and the self-catering Kouneni Apartments in the heart of Mykonos Town.
This family-friendly hotel, perched on a ridge overlooking Mykonos Town and the Aegean Sea, offers comfortable accommodation in breezy rooms decorated in a pretty shabby-chic style. There’s a choice of double rooms and suites, as well as a family room with an extra bed. Thanks to its elevated location, the pool offers expansive views over Mykonos Town and the port, making it the perfect place to while away a day in the sun. Don’t miss the buffet breakfast, served in a dedicated room that opens out onto a terrace. Here, you’ll enjoy a selection of traditional homemade delicacies, local yoghurt and fresh fruits.
Luckily, Mykonos has no shortage of hotels. Whether you fancy a room with a pool, or somewhere that’ll make you feel like a local, you’ll be able to rest easy with many places to stay now bookable via Culture Trip. If you’re after a budget stay, read our guide to the best cheap hotels in Mykonos or try out these hotels in Mykonos Town to be in the heart of the action. From trying traditional cuisine to catching sunset views over breathtaking beaches, there’s plenty to do on this Greek island that will never leave you with a dull moment.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This a rewrite of an article originally by India Doyle.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.