Breakfast and brunch spots are flooding the streets of Thessaloniki, with culinary surprises on every corner: from traditional koulouria to French-inspired crêpes. Savvas Smalis, chef at acclaimed local restaurant Mahalo Civilized Food, shares his must-try dishes on the Thessaloniki breakfast scene.
While Thessaloniki has long been known for its gastronomy – particularly for its rich Mediterranean offering – breakfast is something of a new addition to the culinary landscape of Greece’s second city. The last five years have seen Greek tradition and locally sourced ingredients fused with international breakfast favourites to foster innovative, mouth-watering options to start your morning.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The koulouri is, quite simply, a breakfast classic. This sesame-sprinkled bread crown has been a Thessaloniki tradition for the past century and has become a staple of everyday life. Savvas describes it as a “something quite simple and easy to grab on the go.” While koulouria (the plural form of koulouri) is sold on every other street corner, his top choice is at Ouzounián Bakery on Leontos Sofou Street. Apart from the traditional sesame version, Ouzounián offers a variety of koulouria choices, including a dough dotted with raisins or filled with tahini or chocolate.
Eggs Kayanas, also known as strapatsada, is the Greek take on scrambled eggs. It primarily consists of eggs, tomatoes, feta cheese, peppers, fresh oregano and occasionally cumin. Colours Urban Hotel, home to the café and restaurant The Garden Bar, offers this very recipe with a modern twist. The eggs are served with thinly sliced bacon and laid over a thick piece of focaccia bread. Savvas suggests The Garden Bar if you are looking for a refreshing urban garden to get away from the hubbub of the city.
A great option for breakfast in more contemporary surrounds is ERGON Agora, according to Savvas. This minimalist space, channelling industrial chic, is multi-purpose: a restaurant within a deli. “It also functions as a delicatessen where you can find traditional Greek products as well as fresh fish and meat,” Savvas explains. One of their most ordered brunch dishes combines a global breakfast favourite – fried eggs – with authentic Greek ingredients. On sourdough bread, ERGON Agora adds two fried eggs, graviera cheese originating from the island of Naxos and ham from Drama, a city just an hour and a half east of Thessaloniki – the ideal accompaniment to your morning coffee and some eclectic food shopping.
There’s nothing better than a fluffy, warm peinirli from Koukos Tiropitaki to get your day in Thessaloniki off to a flying start. The bakery can be found on Vogatsikou Street, just across the road from the Metropolitan Church. “It is a progressive take on a traditional Greek bakery,” says Savvas. A peinirli is a boat-shaped pizza – not dissimilar to a Georgian khachapuri – oozing with cheese, topped with cold cuts, vegetables and the occasional fried egg. Despite its similarities to pizza, peinirli is usually enjoyed in the morning – finally an excuse to eat pizza in the morning. Apart from this boat-shaped delight, customers at Koukos Tiropitaki can enjoy an array of Greek pastries such as spanakopita (spinach pie) and tiropita (cheese pie).
Just around the corner from the Hagia Sophia Church is Thessaloniki’s premier trendsetting brunch hubs, Estrella. It is especially known for its revolutionary creation of the ‘Bougatsan’. “This dish marries Greek and French breakfast cuisine by combining a croissant with bougatsa custard,” says Savvas of the dish. He claims this to be the foundation on which Estrella – which now has branches throughout Greece and Cyprus – was built, and believes it to have been the catalyst for the country’s burgeoning breakfast scene. “It is a must if you’re in Thessaloniki,” he exclaims.
Found in one of the last remaining Neoclassical architectural masterpieces from before the Great Thessaloniki Fire of 1917, Ypsilon is a multipurpose space that lends its minimalistic rooms to art, musical events, parties and, of course, dining. One of its most popular breakfast options includes a traditional French-style crêpe which, in contrast to the classic batter, is made from buckwheat. The crêpe folds over melted yellow cheese, ham and a fried egg.
Mahalo is a small, contemporary restaurant found in the Valaoritou district, and home to chef Savvas, whose top breakfast pick is the affectionately named ‘Farmy Breakfast’. A variation on the traditional English Breakfast with fresh Greek ingredients, presented on a wooden platter for two, Farmy Breakfast includes fried eggs, sourdough bread, feta cheese, Tzoumaya sausages from Serres, a green salad, tomatoes, corn and fresh pleurotus (oyster) mushrooms picked in the local area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.