With its sugar-cube white houses, big blue skies and warm sapphire sea – not to mention the chic cafes and lively beach bars – it’s no wonder Mykonos draws visitors back every summer. Discover the delights of this beautiful island from its coast, including Little Venice, tiny Rhenia island and plenty of golden beaches in between. Here, Culture Trip has picked the best places to drop anchor along the way.
Surround yourself with coastal Grecian scenery and cuisine with the Culture Trip’s Greece Cyclades Sailing Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A trip to this completely uninhabited and undeveloped island guarantees peace and solitude. Most boat captains will guide you around the coast, stopping by secluded beaches and in little-known bays for you to snorkel, swim and sunbathe. It’s a little piece of Greek paradise, next to the island of Delos, a Unesco World Heritage Site steeped in mythology and thought to be the birthplace of Greek gods Apollo and Artemis.
This charming pocket of Mykonos sits on the waterfront edging the main town. The name comes from its similarity to the synonymous Italian city and its colourful buildings. It’s the perfect place to dock and enjoy the cafes, bars and homely restaurants. Head to Captain’s on the seafront for fresh Greek sharing plates: salads, grilled fish and home-made hummus. Then check out Caprice, a legendary waterfront bar for a sundowner or two.
The Mykonos Windmills
The seven sun-scorched white windmills that sit on top of Chora hill, above Mykonos town, were built by the Venetians in the 16th century to mill wheat. Admire them from the sea and then head up to Sea Satin Market Restaurant just below the mills. It’s famous for its clear sunset sea views and a menu of Greek cuisine with cosmopolitan twists. All the ingredients are local and fresh. Order their famous lip-smacking loukoumades, a donut-like dessert.
Clean still waters, untouched soft sand and rugged coastline define this semi-secret beach on a secluded bay in the north of the island. Spend a peaceful day here sunbathing and swimming. The charming village nearby has a handful of small shops and authentic restaurants overlooking the beach. Stay for a long lunch at Kikis, a popular taverna for barbecued fish, octopus and an array of exciting salads.
This lighthouse has been in operation since 1891, and continues to light the ocean for sailors today. It’s a spectacular sight from sea level, especially at sunset. Sitting on the northern tip of the island, the white 19m-high (62ft) stone lighthouse overlooks the strait between Mykonos and the island of Tinos. From dusk, you will see it flash every 10 seconds to ensure safe sea voyages.
Only reachable by private yacht, this uninhabited island is a protected nature reserve about a mile off the eastern coast of Mykonos. It’s also a haven for the Mediterranean monk seal, who bask on the small beach. Boats can moor in a cove at the northeast end, and there’s a cave nearby that’s perfect for swimming, kayaking or zipping through on a sea scooter. This is the perfect spot for snorkelling and looking out for yellow sea anemones.
Super Paradise Beach Club
Let’s not forget Mykonos is a draw for free-spirited jet-setters and VIPs, who can be spotted hopping off their yachts into the picturesque bay to relax and party at Super Paradise. The club has been welcoming guests to its wide sunbeds and sparkling sea since the 1960s. Enjoy all-day beach service ordering ice-cool juices and champagne cocktails. Have a massage, shop at the beach boutique or embrace the party vibes as they heat up.
For a change of scenery, take a day trip to Naxos, directly south of Mykonos and 45 minutes across the Aegean Sea by boat. There are charming villages stacked along the hilly coast that don’t seem to have changed in hundreds of years. Long sandy beaches are lined with cute restaurants and buzzy watersports centres – and if you arrive early enough, you could even fit in a hike up to Mount Zas, the tallest mountain in the Cyclades.
Zip across to the west of Mykonos and arrive in Syros in around 45 minutes. This small island often gets missed off tourist itineraries, even as the capital of the Cyclades. You won’t find whitewashed villages here – instead, the Venetian heritage of the island shines in the colour-pop houses and marble piazzas. The fabulous seaside tavernas offer fresh fish, sea-urchin salads and lobster with orzo. It’s a real festival hub from dance to digital art and classical music.
Expect Grecian heaven on this enchanting island with its whitewashed cobblestoned lanes and adorable houses. The best views are from the 13th-century Venetian castle on the top of a hill. Don’t miss Naoussa village next to the harbour before heading to Chrissi Akti and Santa Maria beaches for clear blue water and watersports. Hire a bike and explore the island in half a day.
Discover all the Greek coast has to offer and some of its great spots with Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.