Ano Poli is the oldest part of Thessaloniki and the heart of this great city. Get lost in the winding streets and enjoy the best of Greek history, architecture, food and more.
Ano Poli is known as the Upper or Old Town, which perfectly describes the ancient winding streets filled with restaurants, historical sites, churches and unrivalled viewpoints. It’s the only part of Thessaloniki that remains following the 1917 great fire, so it’s very different to the rest of the city with its beautiful houses and stone-paved streets. It’s the focal point for the blending of the city’s tumultuous and colourful history, with its many churches and interesting Byzantine and Ottoman architecture. Ano Poli is the heart of Thessaloniki, boasting the city’s acropolis where tourists and locals, old and young, all join together to relax under the Grecian sky. There’s nothing better than exploring and enjoying these traditional streets. Here’s the best of what Ano Poli has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Thanks to its preservation, Ano Poli is steeped in history. The town is surrounded by the city’s old walls, standing to remind you of times passed. The Heptapyrgion Fortress, with its seven towers, is a must-see. Not only is it a sight to behold, it’s high up on the city’s acropolis, meaning fabulous views of the city, bay and even Mount Olympus when the weather’s right. It’s perfect to catch the famous Greek sunset.
A day in the life of a Greek will certainly involve a long sit in a little café, and Ano Poli is the best place to achieve that dream. Head to Tsinari, the area where the locals go for their coffee buzz. It’s packed with pretty cafés where you can perch on an outdoor table to people-watch, as you sip on Greek coffee traditionally made in a pan or a frappe if it’s a hot day. Yamas!
Ano Poli is famous for its beautiful historic churches. The stone structures often hide grand intricate interiors with beautiful mosaics and chandeliers to admire as you pay your respects. Some are even listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including Vlatadon Monastery (14th century) and Church of Osios David (5th century). The latter has a beautiful courtyard with a view of the city and the inside is religious art at its finest. The churches are paleo-Christian and Byazntine, giving an insight into the religious history of this lovely town.
Ana Poli and Thessaloniki’s rich and interesting history is best understood with a trip to the Ataturk museum. It was the birthplace of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey. The museum will teach you about the man himself and his influence on Thessaloniki, bringing the streets outside to life with history. Pepper your learning with drinks and snacks from the town’s many excellent eateries.
Next, our favourite Greek pastime: eating! Though the waterfront boasts many seaside restaurants, our favourites for affordable, traditional food are mostly in Ano Poli. Much of the cuisine is Minor Asian and Macedonian, influenced by the area’s history. There are so many tavernas to choose from. Stroll and pick a pretty spot for an atmospheric night of al fresco dining, with the sound of music and chatter all around. We like ivy-covered Igglis, for fresh takes on classic dishes.
Ano Poli is a neighbourhood of preserved houses and mansions, partially-timbered and wonderfully colourful. The locals make it even more vibrant, as they hang out in narrow alleys and chat across the street through windows. Combine this with the natural beauty of surrounding pomegranate trees – views of a full woodland just beyond, in fact – and the result is the joyful atmosphere. Exploring the cobbled alleys and watching Ano Poli unfold each day, as an area of the city both ancient and modern, is a true Thessaloniki highlight.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.