A semi-hard cheese made of sheep’s, goat’s and cow’s milk, halloumi originates from Cyprus. Its popularity beyond the Mediterranean is due to the fact that halloumi maintains its shape even if you fry or grill it, thanks to its high melting point. Instead, it gets a crispy crust while its interior softens. As such, it is perfect for a variety of recipes. From salads to curry, here are different ways to eat halloumi.
Traditional Cypriot Flaounes
Traditionally prepared for Easter by Orthodox Cypriots as well as for Ramadan for Muslim Turkish Cypriots, flaounes are cheese pastries usually decorated with raisins and/or sesame seeds. Depending on the region, these babies can be sweet or savoury and infused with different aromas such as mastic or mahlab (mahlepi).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Halloumi Cheese Bread Rolls
Perfect to pair with your meal or to use as sandwich buns, these halloumi cheese bread rolls are great for cheese lovers. The dough is simple and includes grated halloumi to get you a pop of bursting cheese flavor with every bite. The recipe calls for a dash of garlic, which complements the halloumi. Want to have a go? Check the recipe ASAP!
Lemon Haloumi Chicken
Sometimes, coming up with a balanced and delicious dinner can be a headache, so for those weeknights when you have no inspiration, this easy-peasy lemon and halloumi chicken is what you need. The bonus is that everything goes into one pan, and there’s less than 20 minutes of cooking. All you have to do is get your chicken breasts ready, some halloumi cheese, lemon and some herbs. Yummy!
That’s right, we are talking about deep-fried cheese sticks. A hit for those looking to reduce their carb intake, these delicious protein-packed fries that go well with any sauce. With only 10 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of frying, you’ve got yourself a crowd-pleaser.
Halloumi and Watermelon Salad
Summer time in Greece is synonymous with ending a great meal with watermelon. But don’t limit it to dessert; incorporate it into your meal with this easy halloumi and watermelon salad. The saltiness of the cheese is complemented by the sweetness of the watermelon, making it a refreshing and delicious salad to eat when the temperatures rise. Since halloumi tastes best when it’s warm, make sure to cut the watermelon and other ingredients ahead of time.
Veggie kebabs with halloumi
Vegetarians rejoice! This one is for your next barbecue dinner. You don’t have to forego the experience altogether by not eating meat. And even if you do, this quick and easy recipe will prove you that you don’t need to eat meat to enjoy a delicious barbecue with friends. This vegetarian-friendly alternative to souvlaki includes colorful vegetables and cubes of marinated halloumi. Serve with pitta bread and a scoop of Greek yoghurt or tzatziki sauce.
Cashew Nut Curry with Halloumi and Broccoli
Colder weather calls for heart-warming, creamy food. Enter this delicious vegetarian-friendly cashew nut curry with halloumi and broccoli. It’s also fairly easy. Combine ground cashews, coconut milk and tomatoes into a sauce, which is then cooked down with spices while you fry the halloumi in a frying pan. See? We told you it was easy.
Halloumi Cheese Burger
By now you will have gathered that halloumi is a great alternative to meat. In this recipe it substitutes meat in a burger. Cut into slices, coat the cheese with flour, an egg mixture, dip in breadcrumbs and fry. Only fry for a few minutes to make the inside soft.You can add grilled prawns to your burger or simply add some garnishes and serve with a salad.
Homemade Haloumi and Coriander Ravioli
This recipe is your chance to get your hands dirty and make your own ravioli. With a delicious filling of halloumi and fresh coriander (cilantro), these babies are the perfect way to showcase your cooking skills. We guarantee your family and friends will rave about your ravioli, and probably even ask for the recipe themselves.
Grilled Lamb & Halloumi Wrap
This recipe may take more time since you have to prepare your own lamb meatballs, so a good idea would be to do a full batch ahead of time and simply freeze the leftovers. Once that’s out of the way, all you have to do is fry some halloumi that’s been cut into small cubes, warm your tortilla wraps or flatbreads, add the salad, the halloumi cubes and finish with warm lamb meatballs. You can also forego the meatballs and simply make a scrumptious wrap, perfect for a light dinner or a quick lunch on the go.
Grilled Halloumi and Roasted Vegetables Salad
This tasty salad full of Mediterranean flavors is so easy we suspect it will quickly become a staple in your home. It’s got everything your body needs. Nutrients, vitamins, proteins and no carbs! Serve it warm as a side dish or as a delicious light lunch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.