Trendy Kreuzberg is one of the liveliest neighbourhoods in Berlin after dark, with plenty of opportunities to drink and dance. If you want to be near the action, these are the best budget places to stay nearby – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Berlin has come a long way since the fall of the Wall in the late 1980s. This once-divided city has reinvented itself, and as a result it’s one of the most fascinating destinations in Germany. With an efficient and cheap public transport network, the must-see tourist attractions can be accessed from pretty much anywhere in Berlin – so it makes sense to stay somewhere such as Kreuzberg that’s fun to be in once the sightseeing is done for the day.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the heart of Mitte facing Museum Island, this hotel has rooms with views of the River Spree. The hotel has an Indian restaurant, while guests are invited to drink at the bar in the sister hotel, Großer Kurfürst, across the street. The hotel also has a sauna, steam bath and fitness room. Simply furnished doubles in the Business category offer great value for money as long as you reserve more than seven days in advance.
Landscape architect Enzo Enea created a gorgeous green retreat in the heart of Kreuzberg, and the YARD is the beautiful boutique hotel that surrounds it. With a policy of reducing waste and conserving energy, the hotel has strong eco-credentials – but doesn’t sacrifice style on the altar of good intentions. Room decor is neutral and minimalist, yet warm and inviting.
Mondrian Suites is just three minutes from Checkpoint Charlie, and the views over the centre of Berlin from its rooftop terrace are remarkable. This hotel’s studios are sleek and sophisticated, equipped with those little details that make all the difference, such as Nespresso machines and hairdryers – and you’ll also get a balcony or terrace. Early bookers can make a saving that enables them to upgrade to a premium studio and gain some extra space.
This good-value hotel is located on Friedrichstrasse between Kreuzberg and Checkpoint Charlie. Rooms are comfortable and clean, and the hotel has a lively bar which also serves food at lunchtime. There’s also a fitness suite and sauna. Standard doubles are the best budget-friendly option, however the hotel offers a 20 percent discount for direct early bookers or a 15 percent discount for a stay of three nights or more – making its superior comfort rooms still affordable for cost-conscious travellers.
Book an ensuite double at the Three Little Pigs, and you’ll enjoy all the advantages of a social hostel without the downsides of dorm beds and shared bathrooms. Private rooms represent exceptional value for money, though don’t expect the luxury trappings that come with a high-end hotel. Here, you’ll get a room that’s functional, clean and comfortable. There’s no need to sacrifice a conveniently central location either – here in Mitte you’ll be within easy reach of hip Kreuzberg.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Laura Box.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.