Berlin is about as cutting edge as cities come, but amongst all the fusion food and concept cuisines, be sure to throw a bit of traditional German fare into the mix. Work your way round Berlin’s best German restaurants with the help of Culture Trip’s handy guide.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Serving up some of the finest Bavarian food in the German capital, Zur Haxe offers traditional charm in trendy Prenzlauer Berg. The cosy restaurant is adorned with homely furnishings, creating an inviting, intimate atmosphere and staff in lederhosen and dirndls add to the authentic, Bavarian pub atmosphere. The menu is filled with rich dishes, promising all the Bavarian favourites that German cuisine is known for, paired perfectly with an ample, well-priced selection of German beers. Zur Haxe is the ideal spot for an authentic German experience in the heart of Berlin.
Southwestern German soul food finds a home in Friedrichshain at St Mauli. The minimalist, contemporary-style restaurant serves up truly delicious Maultaschen, a traditional German pasta-like dish, that originated in the region of Swabia in Baden-Württemberg. The restaurant was started by passionate foodie Nico Bulla, and his first love of spinning records can be felt throughout the restaurant’s cool interior, setting the perfect tone for a relaxed dining experience. A must-try in Berlin, this trendy spot is where traditional and modern elements perfectly come together to delight diners.
Schneeweiß offers patrons delicious Alpine cuisine to be enjoyed in a fresh, white-walled and epically stylish environment. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the schnitzel is rumoured to be one of the best in town. Crystal lamps add a hint of glam to the dining ambience, while a pint of craft beer keeps things relaxed and cosy. It’s probably wise to book a table during peak times.
This Kreuzberg stalwart has served one thing since it opened in 1908: milk-fed rotisserie chicken. Anywhere that can survive over a hundred years on one dish alone must be special and, accordingly, Henne should be high on the Kreuzberg culinary ‘to-do’ list. Pair the rotisserie chicken with traditional German potato salad and cabbage. The decor is charming and old-fashioned, with antiques lining the dining room shelves – an echo of the restaurant’s longevity. Don’t miss out on the extensive Bavarian beer list, and be sure to book early in advance. This rule always applies, but particularly so in summer when the garden area opens up and Henne’s popularity soars.
Between the designer shops, modern art galleries and cafés of Mitte lies a historic dancehall – Clärchens Ballhaus. This century-old two-storey ballroom, founded in 1913, may be best known for its charming faded grandeur and the regular dances it holds, but the food is also a major draw. Here, guests can sit down to German- and Italian-inspired lunch and dinner, served by bow-tied waiters. Staying true to Germany’s love affair with asparagus, the restaurant offers a wide selection of dishes with asparagus as the star — the wheat risotto with white and green asparagus and wild garlic pesto is a must-try. And what traditional German menu would be complete without a wiener schnitzel with potato salad? At Clärchens Ballhaus this classic dish is complemented by cranberry compote and cucumber salad. Looking to work off your meal? Learn to salsa, swing or waltz at one of the evening dance classes.
Although its name is a rough translation of “the last resort”, Zur Letzen Instanz is a popular choice for Mitte dining, serving up fine, regionally sourced German fare such as apple tart and pork knuckle. First opened in 1621 and claiming to have served Napoleon himself, Zur Letzen Instanz combines old-fashioned furnishings with an elegant ambience that make Berlin’s oldest restaurant feel surprisingly modern. Take the time to admire both levels, connected by a spiral staircase, and check out the 200-year-old tiled stove on display before sitting down for a plate of meatballs and a cold glass of local beer.
When Sara Hallmann realised the small German village of Rixdorf in Neukölln was bereft of a healthy everyday breakfast and lunch spot, she opened the restaurant Hallman & Klee. Hallmann grew up working on her uncle’s farm in southern Germany, which is apparent in her seasonal kitchen that balances modern German breakfast and lunch plates such as bread, spreads and eggs with organic ingredients. And it is their three-course dinner menu where the gastronomic creativity of Hallman & Klee really has the chance to shine. Their tantalising French-style steamed mussels and steak tartare are prepared with a master’s touch and are a permanent feature on their menu. Just be prepared to wait in line, or make a reservation in advance.
If you’re close to Gesundbrunnen, or on the train passing through Gesundbrunnen, you will hear Germans talking about Curry Baude – if you understand German that is. Just listen closely for Curry Baude and watch as the locals lick their lips aching to get out of the train and onto their Curry Baude dish.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.