To further enhance your holiday in the stunning Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria’s favorite ski town, you might consider branching out to one or more exciting places nearby. From a somber concentration camp to picture-postcard villages, the filming locations of The Sound of Music and the bustling city of Munich, and lots more, here is a comprehensive list of spots that are close enough for a day trip and awesome enough to make the trip worth it.
The term “fairy-tale town” might have been overused to the point of cliché, but there is really no better adjective to describe Oberammergau, a little town sitting in the lap of the majestic Bavarian Alps. Since 1520, Oberammergau has celebrated its native art of wood carving, and you can still see amazing examples of the handicraft during your visit. Also, be prepared for your jaw to hit the floor at the sight of the frescoes in the Parish Church St. Peter and Paul, and feast your eyes on Lüftlmalerei (façade paintings) adorning the town’s buildings. Take the Kolben-Chair-Lift from Oberammergau to the Kolbensattel to enjoy a bird’s-eye view of the breathtaking landscape. For those seeking adventure, Oberammergau also promises a plethora of summer and winter sports.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Approximately 19.2 kilometers (11.9 miles)
Germany’s third largest city, Munich, is filled to the brim with attractions, and exploring everything would take weeks. If you are there for a day, try to catch the highlights of the city, including the historic square of Marienplatz, Frauenkirche, Residenz, the English Garden, and Nymphenburg Palace. With limited time, it might be a wise idea to opt for a hop-on, hop-off bus tour.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Approximately 89 km (55.3 miles)
A visit to the Dachau Concentration Camp, standing as a memorial for the victims of the Holocaust, is sure to shake anyone to the core. Through several original and reconstructed settings and detailed information, the camp allows visitors to walk through the horrors of Nazism, including gas chambers, the paths taken by the prisoners, their sleeping chambers, and the chilling barbed fence that very few crossed alive.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Approximately 104 km (64.6 miles)
The captivating Austrian city of Innsbruck promises a day trip you will never forget. Explore the Old Town and admire Innsbruck’s most popular landmark, the Golden Roof. Stop by the Imperial Palace and Court Church. Don’t miss taking the Hungerburg funicular and the Nordkettenbahnen cable cars up the Nordkette mountain range (2,000 meters or 6,562 feet high) for incredible views. If there is time, drop in at the Alpine Zoo.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Approximately 64.3 km (39.9 miles)
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Approximately 185 km (114.9 miles)
Ettal Monastery and Linderhof Palace
The Ettal Monastery, founded in 1330, looks more like a magnificent palace than a Benedictine abbey. Its grand interiors and grounds never fail to captivate visitors. Situated a few kilometers away from the abbey is Linderhof Palace, commissioned by the same eccentric King Ludwig II of Bavaria who built the world-famous Neuschwanstein Castle. Though smaller than and somewhat overshadowed by its more glamorous cousin, Linderhof has earned its fair share of accolades with its jaw-dropping interiors and beautiful grounds and fountains.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Ettal Monastery, approximately 14.8 km (11.9 miles); Linderhof Palace, approximately 25.7 km (15.9 miles)
Distance between Ettal Monastery and Linderhof Palace: 10.9 km (6.7 miles)
Ettal Monastery, Kaiser-Ludwig-Platz 1, 82488 Ettal, Germany, +49 08822 740
Linderhof Palace, Linderhof 12, 82488 Ettal, Germany, +49 08822 92030
Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Palace
Set on a rock cliff against the imposing backdrop of the Bavarian Alps, Neuschwanstein Castle is among the most iconic sights in Europe. Views of this fairy-tale castle from the Marienbrücke can only be matched in magnificence by its unbelievably gorgeous interiors. Hohenschwangau Palace is the childhood home of King Ludwig II and boasts a magical setting in the midst of thick forests. From the Marienbrücke, you can opt to take a killer selfie with the Hohenschwangau in the background. Visitors are also welcome to take a guided tour of the palace and explore its various rooms, towers, ballroom, and salon.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Neuschwanstein, approximately 64.8 km (40.2 miles); Hohenschwangau, approximately 64.5 km (40 miles)
Distance between Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau: 1.5 km (0.932 miles)
Neuschwanstein Palace, Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany, +49 08362 930830
Hohenschwangau Castle, Alpseestraße 30, 87645 Schwangau, Germany, +49 08362 930830
Mittenwald is a quintessential Alpine town that belongs in a glossy coffee table travel book. It is known for its superb hiking and trekking trails, adorable painted houses with flower boxes, mirror lakes, waterfalls, and violin-making history. Its narrow, romantic alleys are perfect for strolls.
Distance from Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Approximately 18.7 km (11.6 miles)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.