Find beautifully illuminated bazaars and wintry, star-lined paths among the historic squares and landmarks of Cologne this Christmas.
There’s nothing like Christmas in Cologne, where there are more festive markets than you can shake a magic wand at. Skate the ice-rink circuit at Heumarkt, dance to Christmassy DJ sets at Heavenue, browse handmade crafts in the Old Town and sip mulled wine from the boat bar at the harbour. This fairytale German city provides the perfect backdrop for whimsical yuletide evenings throughout the festive season.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the heart of historic Cologne – by the ornate town hall – the Old Town Christmas market invites you to wind your way through whimsical alleys themed to satisfy every desire on your Christmas wishlist. Stuff yourself like a turkey on bratwurst and cookies at the Feeding Alley and browse garlanded fashion stalls on Glitter Alley – and don’t forget to marvel at hand-carved wooden crafts on Toy Alley. Feeling the chill? Head to the indoor huts for steaming mugs of Feuerzangenbowle (flaming, rum-soaked sugarloaf dripped into mulled wine).
Legend has it that house elves take care of this festive market – could it get any more magical? In Heumarkt – joined by a walkway to the Old Town Market – this enchanting bazaar has a 110m (361ft) ice rink circuit. Skate past historic royal statues, over bridges and by food stalls to stop for refreshments. There’s a festive cafe above, promising twinkling views of the market and ice shows. Family trip? Kids will love the carousel, puppet theatre and Santa Claus quarter here.
Warmly glowing white tents line the Rhine at Christmas, right by the Chocolate Museum and medieval Malakoff Tower. They form a festive market with a twist where everything represents the waterside setting, including seafood speciality dishes and entertainment from sea shanties and juggling pirates. Among the Christmas trees and craft stalls, find the wooden three-mast boat bar serving hot, spiced wine by the mug. Sip as you take in the sparkling sites reflected in the water.
Strap on your dancing shoes – preferably the sparkly ones – for this glittering festive knees-up in the grounds of KölnBonn near Rudolfplatz. Heavenue is known as Cologne’s Gay Christmas Market and promises fun-filled nights of DJ sets, drag performances and spectacular light shows in the buzzing main square. Pop art-style stalls adorned with angels and sparkling clouds sell food and hot drinks by the bucketload, including a special mulled wine combining red and white varieties. You’ll leave feeling jollier than Mrs Claus.
This family-friendly market – situated by medieval Hahnentor, a 13th-century gate from the old city walls – has whimsical, village-style stalls with timbered houses and festive decor galore. Stroll the glittering lanes and encounter fairytale figurines and impressive illuminations, all lit by 100 percent green electricity. Santa’s House – with fun surprises inside – is a must for kids, while grown-ups can raise a glass of warming mulled wine in charming huts or at one of the many charity events and shows.
Stroll down the bedazzled star-lined path of Markt Der Engel (Angels’ Market) and you’ll see where it got its heavenly name. The oldest Christmas market in Cologne is as traditional as mince pie and cream – selling beautiful crafts such as decorative plates painted with magical market scenes and fanciful food including artisan chocolates and eierpunsch (egg punch). Keep your eyes peeled for angels in white, sprinkling glitter as they glide through the market. Once a week, they’re joined by Santa Claus parading on horseback. Magic.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Marion Kutter.
Get back into the warm with a room at one of the best hotels in Cologne; there are some arty boutique options and excellent budget-friendly stays, bookable now with Culture Trip. Fill your trip with the must-visit attractions in the city – there’s more than just Christmas markets, you know.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.