Spring doesn’t only transform the trees, the leaves and the grass in Berlin; it transforms the entire city and its inhabitants. People start leaving their winter cocoons, and going to markets, parks, bridges and canals. Spring is a great time of year here, and reminds the Berliners why they chose to live and stay in such a diverse, fun, and sometimes challenging city.
If you didn’t make it to Berlin for New Year, that’s not a problem, because May Day will more than make up for any excitement you missed out on. May 1 in Berlin used to be wildly violent, a day for the Berlin punk scene to lead the city into rebellion. Nowadays it’s a day to elevate and celebrate the working class with demonstrations, beer and music. The best place to be is in Kreuzberg, if you really want to get into the day and the scene.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Picnics in the Park and by the Canal
If the sun is out, so, it seems, is every Berliner. The vibe of the city completely transforms with the sunshine and people become more friendly and positive. Spring is the best time to enjoy the grass and the weather by taking some lunch to the canal or the park.
In the beginning of spring, the magnolia trees begin to bloom, and they could well be the most beautiful trees in the whole of Germany. They are rich in pink and reds and are undeniably stunning. Take a day trip to Potsdam, where they have loads of magnolia trees, historical parks and a hot-yellow rococo palace built by Frederick the Great. What better time to take a day trip here than in spring?
Spring means that it’s time to release the tap and enjoy the Berlin beer gardens, and there is a beer garden in just about every neighbourhood, so you won’t have to look hard.
Eat Outdoors in Berlin’s Unique and Unusual Restaurants
There are many great restaurants and cafés with outdoor seating in Berlin, just right for enjoying the first of the spring sunshine. Check out Prinzessinnengärten in Kreuzberg for sustainable urban farming and lunching, or Birdhouse Imbiss just near the Central Bus Station. They serve fish tacos and vegetarian burritos (a rarity in Berlin).
When spring comes, everybody goes out and gets ready to stay out. The Berlin bars rarely empty out, but when spring hits, you may have trouble getting to the bartender and even more trouble getting your drinks back to your table.
New Fashion Trends
While in the winter everyone’s occupied with trying to wear enough layers to be able to leave their houses, in the spring people are more than ready to strip their bulky layers off and show the city what they’re made of.
What’s a Berlin Sunday without a secondhand market? The markets are back and the crowds are just the right size to sift through clothing, antiques and vinyls, without having to snuggle close to strangers to find your next purchase. The markets on Maybachufer, Boxhagener Platz and of course Mauerpark will be up and running again in spring.
Check out Klunkerkranich over the weekend, a very cool rooftop bar where you can get a beer, get a bite, and watch the sun fall and paint the sky like a renaissance artist. You can hang out inside or outside, join the dance party on the dance floor, or take it easy with a beer or cocktail.
Karl-Marx-Straße 66, 12043 Berlin, Germany
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.