One of the great things about being in Europe is that there is art on practically every single corner. If not a painting, then a bit of street art, architecture, or sculpture. This is also good news if you are short on time. Munich, with its 80 museums jammed mostly in one spot, is a great city to do an art blitz. Here are our suggestions for what to see in your next 24 hours in Munich.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Museum of Urban and Contemporary Art is Germany’s first museum of urban art. Founded in 2016 by collector Christian Utz, MUCA focuses on artists like Shepard Fairey, Herakut, Andy Warhol, and Banksy, as well as emerging artists.
At less than ten years old, Museum Brandhorst is the new kid on the Munich art scene with permanent exhibitions including pieces by Damien Hirst, Joseph Beuys, and Andy Warhol, including his “Marilyn” portrait. Sunday entry is just €1.
Theresienstraße 35a, Munich, Germany, +49 89 238052286
Kick it way old school at this extremely old museum filled with even more extremely old paintings from the 14th-18th centuries. If Old Masters are your thing, the AltePinakothek has all the Bruegel, Rubens, Rembrandt, et al. that you could ever want.
Insider Tips – to avoid queues, don’t go at the weekend or in the summer, and be sure to check the museum’s opening hours before setting off. Most are closed one day during the week, often, but not always, Monday.
Arts ‘N’ Boards
Uli Richter, owner of Galerie Richter & Masset has combined his gallery with a café in the Schwabing neighbourhood. In addition to the cocktails, brunch, and 21st-century versions of traditional Bavarian food, Arts ‘N’ Boards offers live music, cabaret evenings, readings, and lectures, and also, because this is Bavaria, a beer garden.
Settle down to a veggie lasagne with goat cheese sauce or a BBQ steak salad all the while investigating the pieces hanging as part of the rotating art gallery in the café itself. Or if you’re approaching art overload, get a picnic basket to go, and sit in the adjacent park.
Café Ludwig – Klopstockstr. 10, Munich, Germany, +49 89 32211766
With one of the highest exhibition turnovers in the city, there’s always something new to look at in this gallery. On Friday evenings, there is a talk or lecture about the new pieces on display. A perfect stop for art lovers who admire things slightly off the beaten path. Their Facebook group has updates on new exhibitions.
Weltraum 26, Rumfordstrasse 26, Munich, Germany, +49 (0)175 1121 565
Barbara Gross Galerie
Snug up against the big boys in the Museum Quarter, the Barbara Gross Galerie holds its own in a building that was, at one time, a bakery. The gallery primarily presents work from artists who incorporate social and political issues into their practice, including Louise Bourgeois and Nancy Spero.
Galerie Jo van de Loo
Young German photographers such as Philip Gaisser, Arno Schidlowski, and the meteorite-obsessed Regine Petersen are represented by Jo van de Loo, who founded his gallery in 2011. Located in Maxvorstadt, between the Alte and Neue Pinakotheks, the gallery is in the perfect spot for an art lover in a hurry.
Galerie Jo van de Loo, Theresienstrasse 48, Munich, Germany, +49 (0)89 2737 4120
Public Art Munich will be curated by Joanna Warsza in 2018. The year-long project will bring together 15 international artists from from the fields of performing arts, film, opera and music, architecture, theater, and theory to create art actions about freedom of expression, transparency, whistleblowing, privacy, surveillance, and social mobilization. Temporary installations, citizen orchestras, and architectural pop-ups will be all over the city. Find out the latest on Facebook.
Restaurant No 15
After a long day of mental appreciating, it’s nice to give the body a sensory delight as a reward. Even better if it doesn’t take long to get there. The discreet, chocolate and crème brûlée decor at Restaurant N°15 is the perfect visual palette cleanser. As for what will cross your actual palette, look forward to onion and truffle tarts, gnocchi and snails, and roasted shoulder of beef.
Restaurant No 15 – Neureutherstr. 15, Munich, Germany, +49 89 399936
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.