A visit to Hamburg would not be complete without at least one night out on the town, and where better to go than Reeperbahn, the legendary St. Pauli party and red-light district. We have rounded up the best locations for an exceptional party experience on the city’s most sinful mile.
Herzblut St. Pauli
The popular Herzblut – (literally translating as ‘heart’s blood’) – is a mix between a restaurant, cocktail bar, and club; the perfect combination for starting a night out on the Reeperbahn. Savour the special ambience and eloquent interiors, created by american designer Jordan Mozer, and start your evening off with an excellent meal accompanied by an exotic speciality cocktail. Once you’ve finished your meal, make your way to the dance floor in preparation for an unforgettable party night.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A must-visit establishment in the St. Pauli district is Docks, located on Spielbudenplatz. Once a famous movie theatre, the venue has been hosting crowds of up to 1,500 music lovers since 1988. The club’s DJs spin a mix of house, techno and electronica, while international sensations such as David Bowie and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have held live concerts here. Every September the club becomes the heart of the Reeperbahn Festival, Germany’s biggest club festival. Check out the venue that, allegedly, Metallica called ‘the best damn club in the world’.
The Molotow is one of Hamburg’s best underground clubs, famous for its indie rock, punk and post-rock concerts, poetry slams and unforgettable parties. Famous bands such as The White Stripes, The Hives, Mando Diao and The Killers played in the Molotow well before gaining worldwide popularity. After being forced to move several times, the Molotow has found a new home on the west end of the Reeperbahn and offers its guests a great party night on three floors – the club, the Karatekeller, and the SkyBar.
Another legendary music club, the Gruenspan, is about to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2018. Behind the colourful facade of the former movie theatre, you’ll encounter a unique atmosphere defined by red brick walls, stucco columns and a wrap-around balcony. Live music concerts are the heart and soul of the club. Here you can enjoy exceptional performances by world stars as well as up-and-coming artists.
Grosse Freiheit 36
The Grosse Freiheit 36 is one of the biggest and most famous clubs of the Reeperbahn area. Opened in 1985, the club is actually three locations wrapped into one. The grand hall’s stage boasts a list of past star performances that includes some of the biggest names in the business. The Kaiserkeller, where the Beatles performed back in the 1960s, regularly hosts smaller bands and young talent. Finally, the scenic Galerie 36 upstairs offers great cocktails accompanied by Latino music, and often hosts artwork exhibitions.
If you want to party in style, the chic Moondoo is the place to be. The elegant establishment is reminiscent of the New York nightclub era. Among purple velvet sofas and golden columns you’ll be treated to an eclectic mix of soul, hip-hop, funk, disco, and electronica beats. Internationally renowned DJs spin plates on the upper floor while the lower floor is home to beats with a more underground vibe. In Moondoo, Thursdays are student nights and Fridays feature alternative music and guest DJs, but it’s the famous ‘Saturday Night Wildstyle’ that tops the week.
Fans of house, RnB, hip-hop, and electronica will feel at home in the party hot-spot Halo. On the modern and sleek dance floors DJs conjure up an electronic party mood, and the five bars ensure you’ll be able to find whichever beverage you’re after. A special surprise awaits on the top floor of the club; chandeliers, velvet-covered walls, cages, and lounge beds create the ambience of an S&M studio – in keeping with St. Pauli’s red-light district vibe.
When Mojo first opened in 1989 it was one of the most popular clubs in Germany, famous for its mix of dancefloor jazz, soul, bossa nova, and electronic music. After a decade of being closed, it reopened in 2013 in the basement of the sleek Tanzende Türme (dancing towers) highrises. The spectacular entrance of the club features two futuristic gates that lift up from the ground to let visitors in. Underground on the retro-meets-high-tech dancefloor, the resident DJs continue to play the beats that first made the club famous.
Party above the rooftops of Reeperbahn at the NOHO, one of Hamburg’s most sophisticated addresses. The top floors of the former Erotic Art Museum offer the club’s guests an unmatched atmosphere. Dance to electronica and disco beats on the fifth floor, where Hamburg’s largest disco ball and a mirror LED wall illuminate a dancefloor. On the fourth floor a tasteful red-light ambience awaits fans of RnB, funk, and soul. NOHO’s two roof terraces offer picturesque views of Hamburg’s most sinful mile.
The Baalsaal is a beloved dance club with an underground feel. The music repertoire is dominated by techno, house, and electronica played by famous DJs – including newcomers as well as seasoned pros. The sound system at Baalsaal is said to be so powerful that even prominent DJs like Tiga, who are used to filling huge halls, are happy to play for a small crowd of 200.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.